Mum

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  bandityoga 8 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

jills
    Participant

Hi All,

Just a short note to tell you the sad new that my Mum passed away last week following a couple of weeks in hospital. After nine years her myeloma had got to a stage where no further treatment was effective and her light chains had risen signficantly. The end was very peaceful and pain free, she had not suffered with pain at all during the nine years with MM. Although I feel sad it was just as she and I would have hoped and she had done really well considering she was 87.

For those who have relatives who have been diagnosed with MM in later years please take encouragement from my Mum’s story – she actually had few symptoms from the myeloma and was offered a wide range of treatments without any niggles about the costs, the only things she didn’t get offered were those treatments which would have been too powerful for her at her age. The treatment that worked best for her was CTD – she had two lots of that over the years and both times it worked well for her with few side effects. She was still living at home, going up and down stairs and getting out and about right up until two weeks before she died.

I am her executor so now have all the hard work to sort out including a house full of 60 years of stuff and memories! It will certainly keep me busy for a while.

Love to all,

Jill xxx

dickb
    Participant

Hi there, really sorry to hear about your loss but at 87 your mother most certainly outlived a lot of other people. Time to remember the good times and it’s really good to know that the MM didn’t overall cause her pain or too much discomfort.

All the best for the future

janw
    Participant

Hi,

So sorry to hear about your Mom, but as you say she was very fortunate not to suffer with any myeloma symptoms or bone pain and was able to continue with her daily life at home for a great period of nine years.

I don’t envy you having to clear your mom’s property with all of her personal effects. It’s such an emotional and stressful time when you throw out items which you know have been loved and cherished by your parents. After clearing three properties over the past six years, we now appear to have acquired a garage and loft full of items from our parents and aunt which we couldn’t bear to throw out, but we probably won’t ever use any of them.

All the best.
    Jan

bandityoga
    Participant

So sorry to hear your mum passed away but she will always be with you. Remember all the good times you shared and be thankful she didn’t suffer.

Maureen x

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Mum’ is closed to new replies.