My 86 year old Mum .. diagnosed with Myeloma – February 2015

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Carolsymons 8 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

petewalton1966
    Participant

My Mum, Jean Walton, a perfectly healthy 86 year old lady prior to December 2014, has been diagnosed with Myeloma. Having conformed and had regular checkups per year at the GP’s, had a healthy lifestyle, my Mum was admitted to Stepping Hill Hospital in Stockport suffering from severe dehydration. Her kidney function was compromised but Consultants were at a loss as to why. Single symptoms like the dehydration and constipation were addressed and dealt with in the usual manner ie. saline drips to hydrate etc. We also noticed Mum’s was posture had gone from being perfectly upright to slightly bent over. This was ‘blamed’ on osteoporosis and her age. Mums kidneys recovered and then spent 6 weeks in a residential care home in-order to get her strength back and learn to use a walking frame with help from physios. A bout of the Novo-virus ( common in nursing homes ) didn’t help as she was making a great recovery. Upon a 2nd visit to Stepping Hill, my Mum asked her Consultant to check for Multiple Myeloma ( my Father had died of the same disease 27 years earlier ), so she probably recognised some symptoms but she was insistent on the check being done. A biopsy was done from the hip and sure enough she had Myeloma. My Mum is now approaching the end of her life, is confused, worn out and her small immediate family are devastated.

Carolsymons
    Participant

So sad for your family, but myeloma is treatable so mum nay well improve with drugs. Don’t give up hope yet.

Carol

petewalton1966
    Participant

Hi Carol, thank you for your nice reply.

Sadly, my Mum’s lost her courageous battle with Myeloma yesterday. The 6 month ‘fight’ ( 73 days in a Hospice, The Meadows, Offerton, Stockport ) is no more. RIP Mum. Jean Walton 26/09/1928 – 27/06/2015

Carolsymons
    Participant

That is so sad, my thoughts are with you. My mum will soon be 87 and on reading your original post I visualise my mum in the same situation. As much as we want our mums with us forever, I know she would not want to suffer and lose her independence, just like your mum. As you endure the next few difficult days, remember the wonderful times you had with your mum. Mums are just so precious.

Carol

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘My 86 year old Mum .. diagnosed with Myeloma – February 2015’ is closed to new replies.