My experience through a stem cell transplant

This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  ree2112 2 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

adriaan
    Participant

I just wanted to share my blog which documents my experiences through a stem cell transplant last year.

Feel free to reach out if you would like some help!

Adriaan.com

Debs
    Participant

Well done for sharing.

ptlelec
    Participant

Many thanks for your blog! Very interesting!
    I was diagnosed with MM back in Aug/Sept and am currently starting cycle 6 with an appointment to see the consultant at Hammersmith this Friday, hopefully to give me dates for my SCT. COVID allowable?
    I have just scanned your blog, but will read it thoroughly to see what is expected!
    I hear the intensive chemo in hospital is ‘brutal’?
    How are you doing now?
    Wishing you all the best

cazzie
    Participant

Hi. Just to say you’ve come to the right place for support. Very friendly bunch on here. Sorry to hear that you have been diagnosed.

I am also under Hammersmith hospital, for MM.
    I have a lovely Consultant, I was diagnosed April 2018, 6 rounds of chemo, Stem Cell Transplant undertaken November 2018.
    Currently on no treatment and in remission.

To be honest, I sailed through cycle 1 to 4, then suffered with horrid stomach cramps and severe fatigue, from cycle 4 to 5. It was tough, but doable. The transplant coordination doctor was also very daring and explained and answered all questions.
    The transplant itself went well,however, There were days of which I was low in mood and felt weak. Luckily no infections. All I can say is trust in your Consultant and health care team at Hammersmith and I hope you have a good GP. Also, the McMillan support coordinator there is fantastic. You can see her at the hospital. I can only say how it was for me and everybody is different. I wish you the best in your journey.

ree2112
    Participant

I’m handwriting a daily log (I feel like I’m on the Enterprise, but I’m not a captain with his log haha) I digress, I’ve taken it from when I first attended my consultant’s clinic which was 1 July 2020.
    I’ve put down everything so it might make an interesting read to someone one day. I’m on book 5.
    I’m waiting on my next appointment with my SCT consultant (10 June) with the date of my admission etc. I’m going to take my note book in with me. I might take the hubby’s tablet and compare notes on your blog.
    I won’t read it yet as I know it will be a difficult journey but thanks a lot for sharing.
    Did it help with your recovery? I’ve found my writing does.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.