Myeloma and driving

This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  tom 11 years ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

dickb
    Participant

My HGV medical is due and I've been trying to find information on the net about renewal of the licence. I checked the DVLA website and found that MM is not listed as an illness likely to affect your driving licence. Is there anyone else here with MM and an HGV licence? Has anyone had experience of trying to renew a HGV licence with this condition?

Here's hoping

andyg
    Participant

Hi Richard.
    Sorry I can't help with your HGV medical question. Since I've been on treatment for MM I have been reluctant to drive firstly because of my back it made it very uncomfortable and I doubted my ability to brake hard in an emergency. Then when my back improved so I was confident I could drive I found that I couldn't concentrate for very long whilst driving and I put this down to chemo brain. So now though I can legally drive I restrict myself to short journeys. So driving is another burden for my wife to shoulder.

Every day is a gift
    Andy

Mothas
    Participant

Hi Andy, I can't answer this I'm afraid but I would hazard a guess that having myeloma shouldn't affect you at all.

However, if you are undergoing treatment you may be advised not to drive if you are taking certain combinations of drugs. I'm having the same PAD treatment as you will be and nobody has told me not to drive.

meganjane
    Participant

Hi Richard,

I can't help with the HGV licence but my husband Phil drove all the way through his PAD treatment except for a short while after he had operations on both both legs due to bone damage. After Phil's SCT he did not drive for a short while due to fatigue but he is now fine driving again. He was also never told he could not drive.

Megan

tom
    Participant

Hi Richard

I might be wrong?? but the medical for HGV is to check heart, Eyes and BP ?? as has been said the combination of drugs might put you on a fail?? I drove (car) all through all my treatment CTD and SCT no problems
    All the best with it.

Tom Onwards and Upwards

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Myeloma and driving’ is closed to new replies.