Myeloma & rheumatoid arthritis

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  annlynn 8 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

aveave
    Participant

Can any body tell me if they have developed R A whilst having myeloma.

aveave
    Participant

Hi jane ,

thanks for that, john my husband had his first sct in 2004, & his second one in 2014 , he developed all sorts of problems after the first one and has never been able to work, he was aged 52. His second transplant seemed to go well upto a month ago and is now being tested for R A , just waiting for results.

hope your keeping well

many thanks  Averell

BellaRS
    Participant

I was diagnosed with both at the same time. The two do affect each other somewhat. When my RA is bad, my protein goes up as well. But I don’t think one can cause/lead to the other. Rather some people have more than one auto-immune disase as Jane says. Do note that RA often starts very slowly and many don’t know they’ve got it till much later; alternatively, you can, like me, swell up in your joints within a matter of hours.

Bella

aveave
    Participant

Hi Bella,

thanks for your reply his test have come back positive & is seeing consultant on 7 th July.

hope your keeping well,

kind regards

Averell

mrsgoose
    Participant

Hi, I have had RA since I was 39. I am now 65. I was diagnosed with MM 7 years ago. I had a SCT and the RA went away. It came back when the MM came back last October. I had 2nd SCT and was fine until 6 weeks ago when I had a flare up and was given a mild steroid injection. I’m now having another flare up and don’t know what the answer is. I can no longer take NSAIDS due to affect it may have on kidneys nor can I take Methotrexate as it has been linked to MM. What treatment is there for me now? Is it a case of regular steroid injections and what long term effects do they have?

• This reply was modified 8 years, 8 months ago by  mrsgoose.

annlynn
    Participant

mrs goose .. i have like yourself had RA since i was 31 got mm 2014 had my sct in august 2014 i wasnt aware methotrexate had any conection with mm i was taken of it as well but why were we never informed of this !!!!!! nice to hear youve managed a second sct given me hope xxx

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Myeloma & rheumatoid arthritis’ is closed to new replies.