Myeloma XI Trial

This topic contains 34 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  SharonM 12 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 31 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Author

lorrainey
    Participant

Aww Sharon I totally understand how your feeling, bless you. Wishing you good luck with your stay in hospital and your BMB and treatments. Keep your chin up hun, we're all here for you.
    Take care, love & hugs Lorraine xxx

Debs
    Participant

Ah Sharon,

You'll be fine hon. HOw come you have to go in for a few days though??? Remember to call me if you need anything at all….even a rant!!!

Take care. Lots of love
    Debs x

brocho
    Participant

Hi Sharon good luck but you will be well looked after on trial I am sure Try and put it all out of your mind for a few days and do something nice and luxurious! love Bridget x

sheff
    Participant

Hi all, thanks for your messages – it has been a difficult time, especially with the funeral last week.

Sharon, don't worry unduly over this, i'm sure you've looked into everything thoroughly and are aware of the side effects everyone has mentioned – I think we were very unfortunate that while my dad was admitted, the study lead was absent for a week, and in that week there seemed to be a lack of a cohesive approach to what they should do, with the trial team and pain team treatments contradicting each other (as they have different aims), particularly if liver issues develop that were not present before.

More than anything, the lack of communication at times between these teams and the nursing staff was worrying – e.g. information about the three fractured ribs that had shown up on x-ray were clearly not passed onto the nursing staff, who unwittingly moved dad onto that side, increasing unnecessary pain.

It didn't help that when initially admitted for the second time (on day 11 of the trial), that the Haematology ward that he should've been on was full, and so he was stuck out as an outlier on the Urology ward for over a week, where the doctors barely visited – which was made worse by them taking him off the Revlimid and not replacing the Co-trimoxazole (that had caused major skin rashes the week earlier at home). Not having the antibiotics or the Revlimid to help against the myeloma can't have been a good thing for the last few weeks, fighting against myeloma.

So basically my advice is that you (or your family) keep on at the doctors to keep you informed as to how things are developing while you're in there, from experience if you don't make yourself heard, they're quite happy to leave you to it, what with all the pressures from NHS cutbacks on top of the already strained service.

Don't make the mistake of just being overly polite and not wishing to put the doctors or nurses out, my dad was far too much of a gentleman and would put up with things. Make sure they keep you in the loop, it took us weeks to find out the results of some scans – just make sure they don't treat you as 'just another number on the trial' rather than a person.

Good luck to you all – I truly mean that as we've seen how devastating this can be to the families of those suffering, as well as the patient themselves – and just make sure you do everything you want to do while you can, and get any affairs in order, as if/when things do worsen, it can be very sudden with no warning, and i'd hate for you good people to leave all the heartache for your families to deal with in such difficult times.

And please as i said don't worry unduly – we may just have been extremely unfortunate to have encountered well below par care in our case, which was exacerbated by the double bank holidays, and the skeleton staff that was on. Hopefully we've taken enough bad luck for all of you.

Just make sure you keep the doctors on their toes, don't be fobbed off. And as the lady from the bereavement service at the hospital told us, if you do experience substandard care or worse, make sure you report it, as it's the only way to make sure the doctors will learn from their mistakes – just accepting it doesn't help you or those patients that follow.

Good luck all, and thanks again for your kind thoughts xx

SharonM
    Participant

Well I'm so sorry to hear about everything you've all been through with the loss of your Dad and the substandard care you feel you've received. The reason I'm at Sheffield is because I wasn't happy with the level of care I was getting at Doncaster and I have to say, despite a bit of a trek, I've been very happy with Sheffield so far.
    I do understand what you were saying about Bank Holidays etc. though as I was waiting nervously by the phone for over a week for a call about starting treatment and it never happened. In the end, I rang them. I put that down to bank holidays, staff being off and beds being unavailable.
    I must admit, generally I'm the sort of polite person who goes along with things and doesn't like to cause a fuss and put the doctors and nurses out and I appreciate your advice on this one. I will make sure I'm a tad more assertive and keep myself in the loop.
    Once again, my condolences to you and your family. I'm so sorry to hear about your Dad. x

Thank you everyone for your well wishes. Starting treatment this Thursday.

Viewing 5 posts - 31 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Myeloma XI Trial’ is closed to new replies.