Neuropathy after valcade

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  langdale 8 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

jazmax
    Participant

After a few sessions of valcade I started to develop neuropathy in my feet. Consultant stopped remainder of cycles as I was very near where I needed to be for the SCT – which I have now had, but the neuropathy remains. Consultant said he could prescribe something for that, but having read the side affects, it’s really put me off.

If anyone has this, your advise would be really welcome. The neuropathy is driving me mad a bit now, so any suggestions would be appreciated.

thank you.

Carolsymons
    Participant

I haven’t tried this but somebody on the Australian Facebook group has posted that they have had great success with massage using a moisturiser containing cocoa butter. Might be worth a try and certainly better than medication.

Carol

jazmax
    Participant

Thank you Carol, I shall certainly give this a go.

janw
    Participant

Hi, I know how you are feeling with the peripheral neuropathy. It’s definitely diccult to cope with. I began to have slight tingling in my feet after the first week of Velcade, which gradually got worse by the end of cycle one. The volume of my Velcade was reduced in cycles 2 to 6, but the tingling changed to numbness and pain in my lower legs. The bottom of my feet can feel like sponge. When the weather is cold, the pain becomes worse. At night appears to be when the pain is really bad.

On my consultant’s advice, I started taking vitamin b6 and b12 on a daily basis. Hot baths help, as well as wearing bed/thermal socks and an electric blanket when my legs are cold at night. I use a fentanyl patch for my bone pain, which also helps with the pain and I increase my tramadol tablets when required. I was offered gabapentin for pain relief from my consultant. My pain in my legs and feet has subsidised a little, but I’m not sure whether it’s because the weather is a little warmer or that I’ve finished Velcade a few weeks ago. Unfortunately I couldn’t add thalidomide to my treatment because I had a numb patch on my leg from this drug which can also cause peripheral neuropathy.

There is an information sheet on this site covering the subject, which together with advice from myeloma beacon website, also suggests we try magnesium oil and cocoa butter rubbed into the legs, alpha lipoic acid, folic acid, vitamin E, fish oil and omega 3, multi b complex tablet, exercise, acupuncture, massage, reflexology, relaxation, tonic water and prescribed gabapentin.

Let me know whether you have any success with any of the above. Apparently the pain can take months before it gets better and sometimes unfortunately it doesn’t improve or symptoms can become more intense months after treatment has finished. You must be relieved to be through your sct. Have you passed the 100 day mark? Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Jan

jazmax
    Participant

Jan

Thank you for your advise.  The only thing offered to me were some tablets called pregablin, which is prescribed for peripheral neuropathy. It’s also prescribed for epilepsy and seizures – which put me off straight away.  So far I have been doing without anything, but I don’t think I can continue like time, as it’s ruining my recovery really. I don’t feel to bad in myself apart from this. I cannot improve my fitness because of this, as I need to rest/put my feet up if I have been on them for say more than an hour. So going out for walks etc is not on at the moment.

im back at the hospital Friday where they will tell me if the SCT was a success or not!! It’s been 5 weeks now that I have been out of hospital and I feel a lot better now than I did then. Appetite still not 100 percent but getting there.

Not looking forward to Friday, but hey has to be done.

I have booked in for a foot and leg massage Wednesday so will see if this does make any difference.

thank you

pam

langdale
    Participant

Still have neuropathy in feet nearly a year after velcade/thalidomide and found amitryptiline helped. Can walk but slow which is all you need to get round a golf course, which 4 months after SCT and no myeloma cells in my biopsy will do.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Neuropathy after valcade’ is closed to new replies.