neutropenia

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  gala 6 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

smilne
    Participant

Hi everyone, I am fairly new to this forum. Dad diagnosed just before xmas with MM and started VTD, had one chemo session and got infection within 4 days (ended up being chest infection and had IV antibiotics and blood transfusion), came home after 5 days in hospital. 10 days later had 2nd chemo session and again got infection after 6 days, so back in hospital for another week and again on IV antibiotics and was told he now has neutropenia and having G-CSF injections to raise WBC. Aim is to get his WBC up and start chemo again next week. I just wanted to know if anyone else has had this kind of experience and how did they get on. All answers welcome pretty please. Thanks Serena.

gala
    Participant

Hi Serena

My sister has had low WBC counts long before she was diagnosed. The treatments drive those down to seriously low levels. She does have to do Neupogen shots on a regular basis between and especially prior to pretty much every round of treatment and she has had a lot of rounds. Obviously, it is not ideal, but this is the only way to continue with treatments. Interestingly, she does not come up with alarmingly frequent infections, though she does take precautions when her WBC are critically low. We are talking below 1. Her new normal is 2.5-2.6.

gala
    Participant

Just noticed that you posted quite some time ago. How’s your dad doing?

smilne
    Participant

hi Gala
    Dad is doing better thanks. He had GCSF injections to raise his white bloods as his dropped to 0.5 – scary stuff. The injections did what they needed to do and he has now just done 2 weeks of chemo without any hick-ups so far, fingers crossed going forward. I understand that this is a very common problem and a lot of people do need the regular injections to raise their WBC. Thanks for taking the time to answer.

gala
    Participant

Hi Smilne

Glad to hear things worked out for your dad’s treatment. I hope it goes smoothly.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘neutropenia’ is closed to new replies.