Newcomer

Tagged: 

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  kh0305 1 year ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

pest84
    Participant

Hello, I’m 38 and have been told I have myeloma from a blood test, I have had some other tests done last week and a heart scan this week to see exactly what’s going on. I’m absolutely devastated I have two young boys and I fear for the future. I think I was in shock for the first week or so but over the past few days I feel so low. I don’t know if this is normal or not? I have been pretty positive but for some reason that has changed. I think I’m rambling on now sorry

shaun3
    Participant

Hello,

I was a bit older than you (52) when I was diagnosed but your reaction was similar to mine. I have a big family and the diagnosis was not what I was expecting at all. So I cried for a week but got over that and have been very positive since. There are lots of treatments available now. And here I am 5 years later and I’ve been in stringent complete response for the last 3 ½ years. If it would help to talk then happy to do so.

Shaun

pest84
    Participant

Thank you Shaun. I think that would be great.

georgesingh
    Participant

Hi,

I too have been through a similar experience to yourself being diagnosed this February aged 41, I also have 2 young boys so have been through similar thoughts and feelings.

Initially I feared the worst but as I read more about new therapies and how treatable myeloma is now days, I have been encouraged that it can be managed and treated effectively for many years before potentially needing to be treated again.

I am part way through my induction treatment and it is currently working well ahead of a stem cell transplant in a couple of months time.

Feel free to message me directly if you would like to talk.

George

shaun3
    Participant

My email is XXXXX

• This reply was modified 1 year ago by  kh0305. Reason: Edited to remove personal details. Please share via the messenger function for privacy

kh0305

Hi Pest84
    Though my dad was much older than you when diagnosed (62), it was a big shock to the family and it is perfectly normal to go through ups and downs. The good news is that aged 73 he is still here with us and there are many more treatments available now than when he was first diagnosed. His first ‘remission’ period was 7 years post SCT, where he lived a virtually normal life. I hope that helps to give you some reassurance. xx

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.