Newly diagnosed and shocked

This topic contains 21 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  Vicki 10 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author

dickb
    Participant

Eve, Steve,

Lets just say from a personal point of view, I never wanted to meet a Commando of any kind in a profesional manner, especially on a dark night.

I never could run fast enough, be scary enough or talk fast enough to stop them doing their job!

steverobinson
    Participant

Hello Eve and boot neck hubby
    He was 59 Commando royal Artillary so an army commando trained rank. I was an RN Commando trained doc with logs at seaton and 42 Commando at bickleigh. So I was a " Rubber dagger REMF" most of the time. Mind you it took me three goes on the course as I kept getting biffed (broken)
    I chose SCT as my symptom progression was quite rapid and the neurological elements if left would have soon made me unsuitable for the procedure. I don't regret it even though I felt like I'd been in Union street for a month!
    My plan is to dive again
    Spearfish again
    Cycle lands end to john o groats
    Go to Australia and yes the Galapagos as well

Cheerfulness in the face of adversity !!

Steve

Harmony
    Participant

I love the bucket list idea Steve! First item on mine has to be to save for a family trip to New York. You sound incredibly upbeat and positive. I wish you well.x

steverobinson
    Participant

well I have ticked off the first item on my list
    Went to my sisters 50th birthday in Cayman and while there had a dive with a very understanding dive master.
    Put the gear on in the water to save me lugging it around the boat and had a great dive apart from the mask strap breaking at 100′ ! 4 turtles, 3 rays and a barracuda all seen in the 45 mins I was down there. wonderful !!!

bikerchris
    Participant

HI Chrissie. I have just read your post, and it sounds as if you have been diagnosed at a very early stage. I am sure it was a terrible shock, but as time goes on you will find that there is a huge amount of support out there, and advice from friends on this site. I was diagnosed 2 years ago with MM and had quite severe symptoms. I was only 50, and like you, enjoying an active life without a thought that things might change. I now have a successful stem cell transplant behind me, and have really not given up anything in my life – apart from not working so hard!
    You are now an extra special person, and you will find that you have wonderful family and friends who will rally round and support you.
    The main advice I can offer is not to give up, do things today and not tomorrow, and keep smiling! The wonderful scientists are working on new cures every day, and there is a real chance that a permanent cure will be found for Myeloma.
    Keep positive and keep smiling!
    Chris

bikerchris
    Participant

Vikki and Colin, glad to hear you are doing well!
    Chris and Lena x

Vicki
    Participant

Firstly hey chris how are you doing post sct….Colin still gets very tired but qualify that with doing too much and then wiped out for three days!

Hey all welcome if you are new to the site and hi to the old stagers. This is really a tough road to follow for supporter because you feel helpless and sufferer because its a tough lot of treatment. We felt like life had come to an end, and sometimes still do now but we are battling on and trying to make a difference by valuing each day. It’s not easy to stop the dark thoughts but they are counter productive. Look after yourselves and keep well 🙂

Vicki and Colin xx

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Newly diagnosed and shocked’ is closed to new replies.