Newly Diagnosed

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Pilgrim01 11 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

bandityoga
    Participant

My husband Ian (56)was diagnosed 6 weeks ago after suffering with back pain since April. He was admitted to hospital after an mri scan showed a mass in his back. Unfortunatley when the steroids started attacking the tumour, his spine started to crumble. He had a spinal operation at the Western General in Edinburgh and was sent bakc to Forth Valley Hospital. He developed an infection in his wound and had to return for more surgery. it is now approaching 3 weeks since he was admitted and the wound is slowly staring to heal. He has lost some of the power in his legs and his hands are weak.

I have been told he will be in hospital over Christmas and New Year. I have family and friends for support but I miss him at home so much.

We live in Dunblane is there anyone near us in the forum.

Pilgrim01
    Participant

Hello Maureen,

Welcome to the site; although ideally you do not want to be here you will find the people friendly and a great source of support.

I reply simply because I have had a similar experience to your husband and I have managed to come through it. Although at the other end of the country I am of a similar age (54). I was diagnosed in May of this year with MM following back pain and a spinal operation to repair 3 of my vertebrae that had fractured.

I subsequently followed a 12 week programme of medication and I then had a stem cell transplant in September. Today I am 14 weeks post SCT and feeling pretty good. I too felt weak, but the strength does return.

So please take heart from my story and try to get through the festive period as best you can.

Good luck and stay strong.

Regards,

Tim

bandityoga
    Participant

Hi Tim

Thanks for your reply. Ian has had a course of CDT which didn't agree with him but he was switched to velcade with steroids which seemed a lot better but the chemo has now been delayed to help his wound heal.

Did you have an issue with walking after your spinal operation? Ian will need physiotherapy and rehabilitation.

Maureen

Pilgrim01
    Participant

Hi Maureen,

I had balloon kyphoplasty to T7 & T9 vertebrae, which sounds horrendous but it was keyhole surgery and I was up and running within 48 hours and did not need any further rehabilitation.

Sounds as though Ian's diagnosis was a bit different to mine.

Regards,

Tim

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Newly Diagnosed’ is closed to new replies.