Normality? Not on my watch!

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  tom 10 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

DaiCro
    Participant

No Velcade records today but that's OK. 🙂

When I arrived to book in I asked to see a Doctor about a referral to our 'Big Sister' hospital the 'Queen's Medical Centre', 5 miles around the ring road… specifically their wonderfully efficient and somewhat luxurial 'Dental Dept'.8-)

Last Sunday evening, while winding down from our Garden Party I lost a filling and part of my tooth while chewing on a stick of liquorice. I reported it to one of our Lead Nurses while attending my Velcade treatment at the Day-Clinic. Her advice was to keep an eye on it and to take temperature treatments if or when it got painful. It got painful most days and I treated it generously with Bonjela which seemed to calm it down and ease the pain. I have only resorted to Paracetamol on one occasion (this Sunday just gone). 🙂

So today's treatment was slowed down because the receptionist marked my attendance notes as needing a 'Doctor's Review'!!??? 😉

A rotation Doctor (onsite for 8 weeks as part of their progression to 'Registrar') turned up with my complete notes in their scraggy red folder and asked what needed reviewing. I explained that I needed a referral to the Queen's Centre dental dept., because none of 8 local dentists would touch me after I mentioned my relationship with MM. To boot I had an extraction in their dental dept., prior to my SCT and now I would like them to treat me again. The Doctor was very thorough and examined my tooth with his pen-torch and pronounced that he concurred with my lost filling/part-tooth prognosis and said that what remained had 2 cracks and probably needed extracting or very substantial rebuilding and filling… but on the plus side there was no sign of any infection at all. He went away and my Velcade arrived (it was on-site but the nurses where waiting for my 'review' to finish before going ahead with my treatment.

So, everything went ahead hunkadory fashion and we left Day-Case. I sat in the waiting area while Janet went to bring the car to the front door… and I collared the nurse who treated me and asked her if the doctor could pass on his findings to our Lead Nurse who could phone us with his findings. No problem and Janet arrived as I rose to leave… but then the Doctor arrived and more or less insisted that I accompanied him to the Doctor's office.

Once there he explained that he had made enquiries and had got me an appointment at the Quenns Dental Clinic at 9:30am tomorrow. He had spoken to one of the Doctor/Dentists (not sure of their actual titles but they do exist) and he had said that they would examine me and take it from there. Very pleased with my new Doctor Trainee Registrar friend's thoroughness and left for home. We had just settled in at home when we received a phone call from my new medical friend who said that he had spoken to my consultant who did not want me to have an extraction until after my last infusion (next Monday) and preferably during my 'rest week' , 7 days later. She was happy for me to have any remedial work short of extraction. My Doctor friend also said that they wanted me to go to another department at Queens to have my blood taken to find out my platelet count… they were at 130 2 weeks ago and should be OK but they wanted to make sure. 🙂

I know Queens pretty well and the trip into the maze of departments (Queens is the largest medical complex in Europe apparently) to wait to be examined in Dental and then to make our way to Phlebotomy and back to the car… even while using our new folding wheelchair, will be a bit of a bugger, on Dex-Day 2, with the Velcade trying to work its way around my body… the thing is I know my body pretty well by now and I know how I feel on 'Velcade Tuesdays'… gently rough, as long as I lay still and allow it to wash through and over me).:-P

So at 12pm tonight I made the decision to stay at home tomorrow (unless I wake with toothache… which has not shown itself at all since the Sunday dose of Paracetamol. The Platelets count can wait until next Monday's Velcade infusion if extraction is out of the picture at least until then and I will ring the QMC's dental clinic tomorrow and rebook for later in the week… preferably Thursday or Friday.;-)

Until then, a soft diet, no liquorice and a watchful eye.8-)

Sorry for the novella… put it down to the Dex.;-)

Dai.

Perkymite
    Participant

Sometimes I find the "rotation Doctor", as you put it Dai, is better than the real thing 😀 , the one you ran into was certainly on the ball. They tend, in my experience, to be a lot keener to listen and try out there Medical Skills. I certainly have had cause to thank the "rotation Doctor".

I will follow your Tooth with interest 😉 . I do not have a dental problem yet, but I have a chipped tooth, no nuts for me, and I am conscious of the problems it might cause me in the near future.

Kindest regards – vasbyte (but not to hard in our case 😀 )

David

p.s. off to see if I can get back to sleep :-/

san
    Participant

Gosh David see what you mean re dear Dai's dental experience i never thought that it could all become so complex, leave well alone unless you have to have something done i guess but if you are in pain then finding a dentist who can or would want to do an extraction could take a time it seems:-/ yes Dai i will follow your tooth with interest too ha! :-0 San x

tom
    Participant

Well Dai
    Your man is on the ball am pleased to hear 😀
    The last thing we need is bloomin Tooth ache 🙁 but yer man is soon gonna sort that problem out am sure 😎

So here is to the "Tooth and only the Tooth, so help me Consultant"
    You now have another Watcher on this Watch.

David gosh am sure I couldn't do without "Nuts" as am sure my Family and Friends are "Nuts"

Tom Onwards and Upwards

mhnevill
    Participant

Hi Dai

One thing occurs to me re your tooth saga! If there is no infection why can't a dentist just do a surface filling without going too deep? Just replied to another post … When I needed three roots out I had to stop Zometa for three cycles before they would do it, then leave it off for three afterwards. I was also given preventative antibiotics. I guess in an emergency they can't make you wait three cycles, but can give the antibiotics, as if you haven't had enough, and then leave off three zometas afterwards.

Sorry you have yet another thing to cope with. This MM is a b—–r!

Love to you and Janet. (Is she developing muscles pushing wheelchair or is it self propelling, but can't imagine that!)

Mavis x

DaiCro
    Participant

Thanks to all for your replies of support and concerns… even if my vanguard actions are to be a guidance for treatment. 😉

I didn't get to sleep until it was almost time to get up on Tuesday morning… so all plans for clinic attendance and blood lettings were abandoned for the day… during which most of the day was claimed for sleep, which Janet encouraged and I enjoyed. 😎

My new Doctor friend phoned this morning and we agreed to postpone the blood letting until next Monday at the Day-Case clinic. I had phoned the dental clinic at Queens yesterday afternoon but their was no-one available in authority to speak to and I was told to phone in after 11am this morning. Doctor Friend told me to leave that to him… I told him the we were having 2 of our Grandchildren all day on Friday (7.20 am to 6pm) and that Janet had her own dental appointment at 3.20pm on Thursday… so if he could find us a suitable appointment taking those factors into consideration then that would be excellent. He phoned back within 10 minutes to say that he had fixed my appointment for 10.20 tomorrow am… brilliant. 🙂

You may be quite right about his keenness to try out his skills David and he certainly showed his organisational skills to me in this matter for sure. 😎

Happy Chappy 😀

Dai.

tom
    Participant

Hi Happy Chappy 😀

Well Dai am well chuffed for you that Man of yours is on a mission am sure, he sounds like my Dr Jalihal am sure.

Hope all goes ok for you.

Tom onward and upwards

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Normality? Not on my watch!’ is closed to new replies.