One year on (A long year)

This topic contains 9 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Paulgabriel 11 years ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Paulgabriel
    Participant

I was diagnosed with multiple myeloma at the end of April last year where has the last year gone,it was quite a shock.I am a 57 year old male living in Devon and went on the Myeloma X1 trail was put on the RCD route which was started on 1st May 2012 my paraprotein levels were 75 which was quiet a shock to me and my wife,we sat down and talked through things to ensure we both remained positive and get through this,couldn't believe the amount of tablets had to take, the first 3 months were ok ish but my consultant was not happy that my pp was not being reduced quick enough as was at 45,then in August I was put on velcade which reduced it quiet quickly but as I was about to go on the last cycle in November I had peripheral neuropathy which I was told was one of the side effects it was quiet bad in my feet but not to bad in my fingers I am still having problems with my feet now.I never did have the last cycle of velcade and as my pp was down to 11 my consultant said he will start the stem cell harvest which all happened in December I had a very good harvest(13) I was lucky as I know some people do not harvest any.I had my stem cell transplant on the 21st January they put half of the yeild back in and kept half,I spent 2 and a half weeks in Hospital felt quiet ill for 4 day's which was the side effects of the melphalan,was let out of hospital on the 6th February felt quiet tired for about 6 weeks but took each day as it came set my self daily and weekly goals to help speed up my recovery that really helped me and my wife as I hate sitting around,I went back to work on the 2nd April on phase return doing just mornings at the moment 8-1 as get tired by 2pm so have a afternoon nap.When I told my consultant I was going back to work he was pleased but did say do not do too much and listen to your body,I was at the Hospital yesterday (16th April)for a bone marrow biopsy and more blood taken I asked what my pp had gone down to from last months blood test I was pleased when they said 8,am hoping for good results in early May when I have my 100 day assessment from when I had my SCT.What I am trying to say that there is light at the end of the long tunnel it has been hard at times but always remain positive,I am hoping to book a holiday abroad in June once my consultant say's it is ok.By the way I had all my treatments at Torbay Hospital in Torquay could not fault the Ricky Grant unit or Turner ward one bit they were all excellent cannot fault my consultant as has been very honest and told me everything I wanted to know.

tom
    Participant

Hi Paul

Welcome and well done, I also am 57 but I had all mine done in 2009.
    You have done well with it am pleased to read, keep it up

Tom Onwards and Upwards

Mothas
    Participant

Thanks for that Paul, I'm hoping to have my SCT within a couple of months.

Paulgabriel
    Participant

Thanks Tom had a phone call from the hospital this afternoon have my 100 day assessment on the 1st May.

Paulgabriel
    Participant

Mothas thanks and good luck with your SCT if you have any questions I will gladly answer them if I can.I have my 100 day assessment on the 1st May.

teds31
    Participant

Well done Paul, keep it up mate. Ted

john62
    Participant

Hi paul
    snap i was diagnosed in april

we maybe myeloma twins good look on 100 days

This may sound od but this year has been the best year
    of my life the presure is off and i am number one
    let me know whot you get randomised whith

best of the best
    john

Vicki
    Participant

Good luck on your 100 day assessment and well done for doing so well, so far 🙂

Vicki and Colin x

Paulgabriel
    Participant

Thanks Vicki and Colin will keep you posted I am still having problems with my feet they are a lot better than what they were 2 months ago but I will mention it again to my consultant. At the moment I am on Gabapentin of which I am taking 3 x 300mg 3 times a day and MST Continus twice a day.Colin good luck with your recovery hope all goes well.

Paulgabriel
    Participant

Thanks John keep me posted on you treatments etc etc and good luck

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘One year on (A long year)’ is closed to new replies.