Ouch, Ouch, don't touch that!

This topic contains 7 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  san 10 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

DaiCro
    Participant

I know from the Chief Orthopaedic surgeon over at the QMC that I carry quite a few lesions and small fractures around with me and it seems that I've activated one in or on my left shoulder.

We decided to sort out my wardrobe on Thursday afternoon, a job well jobbed and I have 3 big bags of good quality trousers and jerseys etc., for our local 'Sue Ryder' shop. Although I can't recall any particular exertion or strain I have been left with a very sore and painful shoulder.

Of course, it is the start of my 'rest week' and I was looking forward to having my 1st bottom left molar extracted at the hospital on Tuesday. I don't like dentists or dental work but I will be glad to be rid of it… but now I am not sure it I will be able to have the work done. It is agony to move my shoulder and any slight twist or turn has me gasping for breath.

I have had this before, in exactly the same place but unless the pain eases soon I will be carrying a broken molar and a fractured shoulder into my next (Cycle 5) course of Velcade.

Ho Hum…

Dai.

andyg
    Participant

Hi Dai
    You do like doing things the hard way. I don't know what pain killers you're using but if your like me you'll be starting off with the easier tolerated ones. I hated been on the strong pain killers when I hurt my back I was spaced out and like a zombie. I weaned myself of them and luckily I've not needed anything stronger than the occasional codeine with the odd slugg of oramorph. Anyway I hope your up to your extraction on Tuesday and your shoulder settles down quickly. It's a bugger trying to lift a beer using your wrong arm.

All the best Dai
    Every days a gift

Andy

Eva
    Participant

Dear Dai,
    I'm so sorry you're going through this. I've had two episodes of acute shoulder pain, so bad that I was stuck on the couch, even unable to walk. These got better over a period of weeks. I was on dihydrocodeine and pethidine for the pain. My docs assumed that in my case it was frozen shoulder. Who knows? They did x-rays which don't always pick everything up.
    Because I am a low secretor, I'll possibly have a PET/CT scan next time I visit my onc in London.

I'm on week three of cycle seven of Velcade, dex and cyclophos. Have been to the hospital today and am just crashing from the treatment. I get a few hours of wakefulness from the dex, but in general, I get side-effects that have me in bed for most of the next four days. Then there's a couple of better days when the meds are wearing off. I've been able to cook meals in the last couple of days and to freeze them for my husband……For some weird reason I don't like watching telly much but I'm always searching for things I can do sitting up in bed.

Love to you and Janet,
    Eva

DaiCro
    Participant

Hi Andy and Eva,

I made the call at 8pm last night (Monday) that I will ring the QMC Maxifacial unit to cancel my extraction appointment planned for 3pm (in at 12:30pm for pre-op bloods and antibiotics. I sealed that decision by having my Clexane at 8:05 (I was told to stop the Clexane the night before and for 2 nights after).:-|

The pain in my shoulder is bad enough, although it has eased slightly but I'm putting that down to being more careful. It had spread to the ribs under my arm and while not quite as bad as my shoulder it still catches when I take a deep breath. As I type this I have a cushion under my armpit which helps a little.:-D

My temperature hovered around 37.5 all evening before climbing to 37.9 at 11.pm/ I drank water and squash for Wales for an hour and put the fan on for an hour or so… it was 37.8at midnight and then I took a couple of parrots eat em all. I know that is naughty and that I should ring in to the bleep nurse but I know what would be said on a Bank Holiday… so it can wait until the morning (unless my temp continues to rise) when I can speak to one or the other of my lead nurses.8-)

Sleepless in Aslockton.8-)

Dai.

Eva
    Participant

Dai,
    Sorry you're sleepless as well as the other probs. I imagine it will be important to work out whether you have an infection anywhere and if so, what antibiotics to take…… but then you already know that.
    It's difficult to have what appears to be a temperature and not to be sure what to do about it. I have a number of different antibiotics that I have to keep at home in case I have a prob at the weekend or in the night. When I was on one of the early cycles of Velcade, I had a bizarre infection in one of my fingers, just from the nailbed and I think a bit of pulled skin. Because my finger went purple and swelled very fast I phoned the hospital at night. A head nurse advised me which of my antibiotics to take, and then I went to my local GP the next day and I was put on one of the other antibiotics instead. Maybe this suggests I acted too fast, but the purple area was spreading and I was feeling most unwell. I went on to make a fast recovery.
    I hope you can get advice as soon as possible. I don't fully understand about your tooth so I'm not commenting on that. I don't know whether there is someone on night duty who could chat to you without you making a trip over when you are so uncomfortable. I certainly hope you will the chance to speak to someone tomorrow and that they will be capable of absorbing what's happening now, as well as appreciating all of this in the context of having mm.
    Best,
    Eva

eve
    Participant

Hi Dai

Slim has had a tooth removed on treatment no problems,did him first as he was being sick,only off Clexane for one day,they had to give him a few stitches as well,but no problems after.

Slim is now taking a tablet that does the job of Clexane,so all good in that department it,s called RIVAROXABAN,does not need blood checked,so that's a bonus.
    Hope they sought you out soon.
    Daft me rang local unit for blood test for Slim and they decided had to have separate appointments,so tomorrow 8.30 glucose ,next day 8.45 for iron in blood,then we have Friday hospital bloods for Zometa,is it me or are they just trying to fill in blank spots in there appointment book???? Eve

tom
    Participant

Hi Dai

First aint it a beggar this Temp lark and not being too good in oneself 🙁 and whey oh why does it start on a week end and a bank holiday it beats me (answers on the proverbial postcard please)

Hope your soon a bit better my friend 🙂
    As for the pillow under your arm ?? when Elaine (the young bride) had her Lumpectomy to remove the lump from her breast one of her friends made her a small heart shaped pillow,I said that's nice :-S but its a bit small to lean on?? then she placed the Heart (V uppermost) under her armpit and said its like this you daft begga and Elaine said it was a great help and eased her pain a lot 😀 am sure your Young Bride will be able to make one Easy Peasy for you Dai.

Stay well a

Tom Onwards and Upwards x

san
    Participant

Ahh Dai so hope that you feel better soon, a double whammy that you could do without, take care :-S San x

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Ouch, Ouch, don't touch that!’ is closed to new replies.