Our mum recently diagnosed.

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  mbb 1 year, 10 months ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

mbb
    Participant

Hi folks.
    In the last couple of days our mum has been diagnosed with Myeloma. We have done a bit of research but all mum seems to have heard is the word “Cancer”.
    Lots of things add up from her recent past. She had a fall which resulted in a bad spiral break of the leg. Anaemia, continence problems, sore ribs etc.
    At present she lives in a retirement flat after moving from the family home. Her mobility is poor and after our Stepdad moved to a care home with Dementia it seemed ideal for her to be somewhere more accessible. Problem was covid kicked in and the retirement village was put into lockdown. Apart from visiting stepdad she is pretty well on her own.
    I live over an hour away looking after my wife who has Parkinson’s full time.
    She relies too much on my brother for help and recently, before diagnosis, we asked her to consider assisted living as it was clear her mobility was not going to improve.
    Now we have the Myeloma diagnosis we need to convince her that she will need that help of an assisted living situation to help her when things are tough. Along with the diagnosis she is struggling to come to terms with it all. My brother is 54 and I’m 57 and we are not getting any younger and feel this is best for all concerned.
    Any feedback on what the future may bring for her and any experience from yourselves that could help her make a decision would be most grateful.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.