Parkinsons?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  paulh 1 year, 1 month ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

paulh
    Participant

My mother has recently passed away after being diagnosed with multiple myeloma. The rapid deterioration in her condition was startling.
    Starting with lower back pain that began a couple monrh before it became so severe she had to be hospitalised…. 2 months later she was no longer here.
    My question is relating to parkinsons. She had been diagnosed with PD about 4 yrs ago. Starting with shoulder pain, slight forgetfulness, slight slowing of her movement. After her diagnosis with MM, it was obvious she had had this for a long period of time, and by the time it was identified it had changed the function of her bone marrow at genetic level and was untreatable.
    I’ve since read about parkinsonism relating to MM. Is it possible that MM was directly related to her PD? Or perhaps caused PD, or the other way around?
    Has anyone seen any research or studies about this they could point me to please. Thanks

mariposa
    Participant

Hi. I’ve been diagnosed with Mgus. I have been told that I am borderline Parkinson’s whatever that means.
    I feel that there is a mix of symptoms that could apply to either conditions.
    I would be interested to know if you ever found any information about a possible link.
    I hope you have been able to move on from losing your mum and can remember all the good times you had together ❤

paulh
    Participant

Hi. Unfortunately I haven’t. I had another reply from someone with the same 3 illnesses in their parents and themselves. Myeloma, lewy body dementia & parkinsons. I don’t believe in coincidence.
    My father was exposed to DDT in sheep dip for many years and my mother obviously slept with him and she also washes all his clothes.
    I did a lot of my own research into increased rates of cancer in fire fighters through exposure to toxins in products of combustion…. as I know several training officers (hot fire) who have died from, or still have, cancer…. and I did the same jobs for a number of years so understand the risks of environmental hazards.
    I’m assuming there hasn’t been research because of the relatively low numbers affected when compared to other more prolific cancers which is a shame.
    One good thing, parkinsons can be very effectively treated to reduce or remove symptoms…. but the downside was that when she developed more symptoms they were put down to that… when in fact it was Myeloma. And by the time it was discovered it was very advanced.
    If you have symptoms you’re not comfortable with associating to your diagnosis, don’t be afraid to push for further tests….. I hope you’re in relatively good health with your conditions.
    I dont think I’ll ever be able to completely move on, it still affects me nearly 2 yrs later…. you just learn to live with it. Thanks for the reply, and if you discover anything relating to links please share if you can…. thanks. Paul

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.