PIP claim.

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  worksopian 2 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

jbal
    Participant

Hi
    Wondering if anyone has had any success in making a PIP claim? Hubby been pretty well during induction treatment and been on furlough. When this ends at the end of September his boss has told him he’ll only pay him basic SSP!!!
    He’s due in for ASCT on 6.9.21 and been advised he’ll need 3/6 months off work to recover (maybe longer) so thinking PIP would supplement his loss of income but wondering when best to apply and if he would be eligible for the standard or high rate components?
    Many thanks Jane

paulapurple
    Participant

Hi,

I claimed PIP as soon as I came out from SCT. I had a very tough time with my SCT as I caught RSV so was in hospital 8 weeks.I put on the form that I was immune compromised so needed a home visit and they came out about a month later. This was pre covid and I know they have about a six months backlog now and were only doing telephone appointments. I only got the daily living element at the standard rate but not the mobility element so I get £60 a week. Basically if you can walk 20 metres you don’t get it; they’ve got very tough.

You get a month to return the form so it might be an idea to ring up for it in the next few days. Once he has had the SCT you start feeling rough very quickly so you will know what he can and can’t do. Remember to describe the worst possible day. When I came out of hospital I could just about stagger the few steps to my ensuite, I didn’t have energy for a shower initially then later I could only do it with help and sitting down on a shower stool. I couldn’t walk the length of the corridor to get to the living room (we live in a bungalow) and I certainly wouldn’t have been able to climb the stairs. I didn’t eat and I wouldn’t have been able to get my own food anyway. I had bad nausea and was often sick.
    The form is not straightforward to fill in so if you can get someone to help you or use all the info you can find on the internet. Mention all the aids he needs like a shower stool, a perching stool to prepare food, a stick to walk with etc. I also wear a hearing aid and use a portable hearing loop. We have a home automation system so I can answer the door from my phone and see who it is then let them in; I can’t get to the door quick enough. The door bell rings through speakers in the ceiling in every room otherwise I wouldn’t hear it. These are all the things they want to hear. If awarded it’s backdated to the day you ring up for the form.
    Best of luck with it all.
    If you haven’t done already you may like to join the UK Myeloma Facebook page. It’s a friendly group and you will get answers to queries much quicker than using this forum. Plus there is a wealth of experience and knowledge on there.

Regards

Paula

worksopian
    Participant

Hi,

When I claimed for pip in September 2020 a lady from the citizens advice bureau collected the application form from my house. She then filled the form in for me whilst I was on the phone with her. (Covid). I got confirmation about my award in February 2021.

Regards
    Ian.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.