Possible MGUS?

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  graham-c 7 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

jfols93
    Participant

Hi Guys!

I was wondering if anyone could help me interpreting blood results, and whether you think it could possible be MGUS.

I have had Fatigue for most of my life(23 years old) but it’s always put down to poor sleep, but I have had blood tested several times in the last couple of years. I recently came across these blood tests when moving house and noticed how three separate blood tests came back with IgA out of range at 3.08/3.42/3.32 g/l Range 0.8-2.8. G/L

inthink the tests were checking for crohns or another bowel issue.

Admittedly I have a tendency to be a hypochondriac but I have researched this and I understand high immunoglobulin can be a sign of MGUS? I also notice each result one also says serum protein electrophoresis-normal.

Is serum protein electrophoresis the test that confirms or ruled out MGUS? And should I be concerned by the slightly raised igA levels?

I am sorry if I am being dim!

Many thanks in advance!

graham-c
    Participant

Nothing wrong with a little healthy hypochondria.

I’m no expert but the subtle but important point is that your results are referring, I presume, to healthy immunoglobulins whereas in this condition (MGUS/myeloma) the immunoglobulins being produced are clonal or faulty, and the risk is that their proliferation will harm other organs and people’s immune responses.

From the conditions you mention I assume that they were looking for evidence that your immune system was under stress, whether those figures you mention show this, I cannot say. Presumably as nothing happened, in the famous medical expression designed to annoy any patient, they considered that they were ‘unremarkable’.

I’m not dismissing your concerns or your illness, as all of us experiences that. I simply hope I am leading you in the right direction. It’s very easy to lack a full understanding of blood results even for experts.

As regards abdominal/bowel problems my own belief is that they won’t consider surgery unless they have clear evidence from tests or imaging what and where the problem is because it’s so easy to do more harm than good without a clear goal. In other words they won’t go on a hunt for the problem through surgery unless your life is at risk. Creating scar tissue inside the abdomen can cause problems worse than the original problem and I have personal experience of this.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.