Post STC side effects

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  rebeccaR 10 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

dickb
    Participant

It is now 5 weeks since SCT, leukocyte’s are good at 5.2, platelets are good and so is Heamoglobin. However, I still feel nauseaus, have had a bit of diarrhea but not constant and still am tired, normally struggling to stay awake until 8:00PM. I know the tiredness affects a lot of people but 5 weeks on? Surely it should be getting better?

eve
    Participant

Hi Dick

Try to think of it as major blood surgery!!! Give yourself three months,then think the next three months will see you responding well,3 weeks!!! What the hell do you expect!!! Lol.

Seriously some people take a long time others don,t.i think guts and bowels are the last to improve,you have age on your side,so don,t despair make the most of being looked after.Love Eve

dickb
    Participant

Hi Eve,

One thing I’ve learnt from reading your posts is that you are the one to be obeyed, you are the oracle, the fountain of all knowledge. So I will stop worrying and hang in there for the long term.

rebeccaR
    Participant

Hi, I am 10 weeks since stem cells returned – I was very ill for the first 7 weeks with one thing or another so don’t know if the tiredness was related to SCT or subsequent illnesses which floored me but now on week 10 I have no tiredness at all and am trying hard to rebuild my fitness levels – tho progress is slower than I would like – tried a knock about tennis the other day but was very slow at running for the ball tho I can brisk walk for a few miles now. I have only just stopped with the bouts of nausea etc and I do think this is exacerbated by the anti- viral etc pills ( I was told to stop some of the pills for a few days when I has severe S&D) From week 7 to week 10 I have just gone from strength to strength and in 3 weeks it is hard to imagine how weak and tired I was – I now feel perfectly normal and just need 6 – 7hrs sleep a night. Be patient I’m sure it won’t be long for you – I think age and fitness plays a big part in recovery and now I can exercise I honestly feel as though I am back to normal pre SCT (bar running for a ball – but am working on it!).
    Rebecca

dickb
    Participant

Hi Rebecca,

I can’t be doing too badly then because I’ve taken the bike out a few times without too much trouble. I walk our daughter to school daily and back again – although it’s not far and I try to do some of the housework. We are moving house in March so that will be test of stamina I’m sure. Unfortunately our daughter is coming back from school with normal school type infections – a cough, cold and we are sure with slap cheek syndrome. She can’t help it, it’s just normal school life but it certainly makes it a little bit more testing.

rebeccaR
    Participant

Mmmm…sounds like you’re certainly doing a lot so soon – perhaps that’s why you’re tired and it should gradually improve. I was told not to overdo it to start with and be gentle but as it happens events took over and I wasn’t well enough to push myself.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Post STC side effects’ is closed to new replies.