Radiotherapy

This topic contains 8 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  eve 11 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

andyg
    Participant

Hi folks.
    As a result of our questions session with our consultant a week gone Friday I was referred to a radiotherapy consultant. As a result of that consultation I am receiving some radiotherapy treatment to my lower back (sacrum) tomorrow – oh today now 😉
    Hopefully it'll ease some of my back discomfort and maybe get me off this damn catheter.
    It's good to read all the good news about all the SCTs happening and we wish everyone going through the process an infection free recovery with a long remission.
    I don't know if I've posted my treatment update so I apologise if I'm repeating myself 🙂 I have had Cyclophosphamide added to my Revlamid & Dexmethasone mix. Which unfortunately means I have 2 not do good days a week now :-/
    That's our latest news.

Keep up the fight folks
    All the best
    Andy & Steph

Helen
    Participant

Hi Andy
    Hope all goes well later today, and yep getting shot of the catheter is a very sound goal, not comfortable. Do you have sensory loss too with your back?

I had Revlimid, cyclophos and dex as my induction therapy, I made sure I took anti sickness tablets an hour before the cyclophos and then regularly for 48 – 72 hours after, i rested a lot and drank lots of water, that seemed to stop the bulk of the cyclophos side effects.
    Just keep swimming:-)
    Love Helen

DaiCro
    Participant

Good luck with the radiotherapy Andy. I had extensive radiotherapy to blast away a couple of vertebrae that had crumbled onto my spinal cord… which was successful and got me walking again.8-)

A year later I had one single shot on my left shoulder which was painless and effective. I have to see an oncologist next Tuesday to consider a blast at the fracture on my left scapula… its not bothering me at the moment (healed itself?) but I'll be guided by her judgement.;-)

Here's to the Cyclophosphamide… and its quest to lower your PP's alongside Rev & Dex. I had CDT… (Thalidomide instead of Rev) for my frontline and it did the job in no time at all… so the very best of luck with it.:-)

Dai.

btw Did you get to see Prof. Jackson?

eve
    Participant

Hi Andy

Good luck with the Radiotherapy,
    As to the catheter,well the question must be why did they put it in????loss of control or your condition at the time it was put in?????.
    There seems to be grey area,s with your low back,chemo works on any form of cells,they know chemo has not worked to reduce your cells,so why have they not given you radiotherapy before now,specially as your condition has put you in the position you have to have a catheter is it because of the site that would need radiotherapy for?.What pain relieve are you on Andy.
    Slim had a catheter for awhile,because of condition he was in,I am not a great fan of them,I often wonder is it for the patient,? or less work for the staff???
    I wish you well,and hope you manage your goals.Love Eve

Perkymite
    Participant

Best of luck Andy with the latest treatment.

Kindest regards – vasbyte

David

Mari
    Participant

Hi Andy,

Good to hear they are still pushing on with your treatment, that cyclophosphamide is nasty stuff, but I think it's pretty good at getting the job done against myeloma cells. I hope the radio goes well too and brings you some relief. Steve has not had to have any to date but from what I have heard from others on the forum it can do the job well, I bet you would be really chuffed to be rid of the catheter.

I love Helen's comment, 'just keep swimming', it's what my daughter and I say when we hit a sticky patch, works for us, Nemo is such a cheerful chap!

Love to you both, Mari xx

andyg
    Participant

Hi everyone.
    Thanks for all your good wishes
    Here I am a day post radiotherapy with no major side effects as yet. Just a pleasant warming in the small of my back.
    Helen I did have a numbness in my left leg and foot but it wasn't too bad – that has gradually reduced since I started on Revlamid – my nurse said the Revlamid sales person said that could happen! Anyway I'm hoping the radiotherapy will clear it totally.
    My long term catheter was put in after my first radiotherapy to relieve pressure on some nerve or other didn't improve my urinary function. I had an examination and tests in the urology department and it was found my bladder muscles were not functioning. The causes were probably I was told either drug related or spinal damage related!
    I am hoping the latest radiotherapy does 3 things – 1 eases my lower back pain – 2 make the slight numbness in left leg and foot to clear up and – 3 enable me to get rid of the catheter.
    I suppose with MM 3 out 3 would be unusual but as Meatloaf said 2 out of 3 ain't bad. 😉
    All the best
    Andy xx

Now where is my Bat out of hell album!

Vicki
    Participant

Hi Andy

Glad to hear the radiotherapy went well, Colin had a blast of it at the start of his treatment and despite feeling a bit tired and short of breath was ok, and he has not had too many problems since. Colin also had cyclphosmhide as part of his treatment and was effective, so I hope it's the same for you. Its about time you were given a break so what's wrong with 3 out of 3 for once!:-)

We have been preparing for the gcsfs in advance of SCT harvest, daunting but onwards and upwards as Tom would say.

Vicki and Colin x

eve
    Participant

Hi Andy

So glad to see thing are going looking up,I would go for all three big time, I know even without MM back problems in the low spine,cause a lot of problems so I hope this treatment does the job,and gives you some of your life back.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Radiotherapy’ is closed to new replies.