Recently Diagnosed

Tagged: 

This topic contains 18 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  richfs 2 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author

hendaz68
    Participant

Good evening everyone.
    I am new to the Myeloma gang.
    I was diagnosed with Myeloma on 8th November following being diagnosed with coeliac disease (gluten free for life) 🤢 & anaemia in July all of this year. Since my coeliac diagnosis I was still feeling tired & lethargic & my blood levels were dropping. So the consultant sent me to see a haemotologist who carried out further tests & bone marrow sample & the rest is history. I’ve just completed my 1st VTD cycle & touch wood apart from losing sleep whilst having the chemo (steroids) I think waking me up at 3am 🥴.
    Hopefully I can make friends along the way & share my story with you all.
    My 2nd cycle starts 14th December to 24th December so fingers crossed for Christmas day.
    Take care everyone.
    Peter

jiffie
    Participant

Hi Peter, welcome to the club that nobody wants to belong to, it was a shock for me when I was diagnosed and tbh I’m still getting used to to the idea, however it is what it is and we just have to get on with it.

I’m currently first week into my 4th and final cycle of chemo with a prospective stem cell transplant end of January / start of Febuary 2022. It hasn’t been an easy journey but my cancer cell count results have been good with a substantial reduction which has encouraged me to stay positive. I hope that your treatment goes as well for you.

Geoff

• This reply was modified 2 years, 4 months ago by  jiffie.

hendaz68
    Participant

Hi Geoff
    Thanks for your reply much appreciated.
    Yeah we will all get through this I’m sure especially with Positivity & friendship we can do this.

My 2nd cycle starts 14th & final chemo for the year Christmas Eve.
    So far I’ve been ok it’s early days of course the steroids I think have been playing havoc with my sleep but apart from that I’m fine.

Thanks again for your reply & good luck with your treatment 💪💪

We’ve got this.

Peter

richfs

Hi Peter,

As others have said in this thread, it’s a shock to find ourselves in this ‘club’ of myeloma patients.

Myeloma UK have just trained some peer-volunteers to assist on this forum. I am one such person and was treated for myeloma in 2019 with VTD and a stem cell transplant.

I’m aware that this thread includes others with a new diagnosis and at different stages of treatment, it’s good that we can all share together here.

You’re certainly right about steroids messing up your sleep pattern. I did find, however, that they gave me more energy and the resulting activity increased my appetite which was helpful to get some weight back on before the stem cell transplant.

How are you getting on in your treatment now?

Do let us know if you’d like any advice about different stages of treatment and recovery, we’re here for you.

Rich.

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.