Red hot cheeks

This topic contains 7 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  janw 11 years ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Debs
    Participant

Can anyone help? I'm currently in remission after having had my SCT in July 2011. The only drugs I am on are revlimid (10mg) and in the past couple of months, I've been given a few GCSF injections to help boost my neutrophils.
    The last couple of days though I have had the rosiest cheeks in the world. Yesterday, I thought it was the after effect of having enjoyed some of the April sunshine we've finally had, but they are still red and hot today and now I'm not sure why. I don't want to be paranoid (and to be honest I'm not sure what I'd be being paranoid about!) and it probably isn't myeloma related at all, but I thought I'd see if anyone on here has had a similar issue. Normally I'm really cold!
    I have no temperature and I feel totally well in myself.

Thanks in advance
    Debs

Michele
    Participant

Hi Debs

Just a thought, but could your cheeks be anything to do with your hormones?
    I sometimes get a hot face and I presume it's just a natural thing.
    Chemo. leap-frogged me past any sort of menopause, but I suppose our bodies still have a few side-effects to spring on us every now and again.

Hope this helps. 🙂

Debs
    Participant

Hi Michelle
    I suppose it could be linked. My transplant has meant I've definitely gone through an early menopause with hot flushes and all that but I suppose this could be a new and different aspect to it. It's just come very much out of the blue!
    Thanks for the thought though…may kick me into action re going to speak to my GP about it all.
    Thanks
    Deb

Babs
    Participant

Hi Debs,
    I had my SCT 22nd March 2012,am too taking 10 mg of Revlimid and asprin only,said to be in "full partial remission", I too often have flushed cheeks, mainly noticed after I have eaten,but can be at other times too, but that could be more noticable due to the people sitting at the table with me.
    Like you the SCT took me through the menopause so this could be one of the side effects.
    I am seeing my consultant this friday and I will raise this with him, it does seem a silly thing but the flushing I get does often bring comments from kind thinking people, basically am I ok cause I look so flushed!!!!!
    Love Babs

Helen
    Participant

Hi Debs
    I think I'd pop into the GP too, it could be the sun…. If you've had chemo you are more at risk of burning, it could be hormones as well and even …. As you have small children …there is a childhood illness called 'slap cheek syndrome' which is a virus rash you could pick up I suppose, I've not looked it up at all but if it persists I'd get it checked out.
    Love Helen

Ps i like the new hair

Debs
    Participant

Thanks Babs and Helen

Babs, I am just not sure whether it is just the revlimid because of the fact I've been on it so long without any side effects. Helen, I think you might be right about slap cheek….sort of didn't want to face into it. I'll see if I'm the same tomorrow and perhaps get a GP appointment if so. I've now scared myself reading up what it can do to people with no immune system if they don't get it treated!! And I've been really tired too so it could well be that. Given that my neutrophils are down at 1.5 (up from 0.5!) I probably ought to be sensible for once in my life 😉

So I think a trip to the GP might at the very least put my mind at rest.

Thanks for your help as always
    Debs x

jills
    Participant

Hi Debs,

My Mum is on Revlimid and the hospital told me flushed cheeks was a common side effect of the drug.

Take care,

Jillx

janw
    Participant

Hi Debs

One of my main symptoms before being diagnosed with myeloma at aged 52 was flushed cheeks, sweating and hot flushes on the upper part of my body. When we went to Majorca the year prior to my diagnosis of myeloma, the icy air conditioning in the hotel was a complete bonus for me but my family were sleeping under many blankets to keep warm! At this stage, I began to realise perhaps the flushes were getting out of control and not just entirely connected to a possible menopause.

During chemo my cheeks went brilliant red for a few days after the chemo drugs. Since the stem cell transplant, I lost the hot flushes for a couple of years, but they have started to reappear especially during the warmer nights. But I still tend to sweat a lot if I try to undertake basic chores such as cleaning, cooking and ironing – it appears to be my body's way of telling me I'm doing too much. I also get very hot just after eating and my temperature does rise by a few degrees for half an hour which is strange.

I asked my consultant whether my hot flushes were connected with myeloma but he stated there was no specific evidence, but I have read on this site and other myeloma blogs of female and male patients suffering with hot flushes and sweating since undergoing treatment.

Hope your red cheeks disappear soon. Janice x

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Red hot cheeks’ is closed to new replies.