Relapse after 5 years

This topic contains 30 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  brocho 12 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • Author

faith
    Participant

Hi Tom

Still coughing, went to my GP but she can't give me anything, just have to wait until it goes on its own. Could take a week or more. I am so tired with not much sleep.
    One of the "Yellow Liner" member

Janet

tom
    Participant

Hi janet and all other "yellow Liners"8-)

I hope the cough is soon sorted 😀 nothing worse than a bloody nite cough :-S I remember when i stopped smoking (nov 2009) I suffered (and still do) a cough and more chest infections that you can shake a stick at.

I got flu and ended up with a chest infection at the end of it :-/ so off to Dr's and he gave me a sick note (forced on me) and some Anti biotics, after three days of the Anti's I felt 100 % better lord I must have been sicker than I thought I was Lol.

Hope the cough is soon gone Janet and we ought to start up a "Yellow Liner" on Face Book Lol

Love and Hugs to you "Yellow Liners"

Tom "Onwards and Upwards" xxxx

faith
    Participant

Hi Tom

Just giving you an update on my cough.
    Went back to the Dr's this morning as my cough was getting worse, I am now on antibiotic's because I have a chest infection. I will be glad when they start working so I can get a good night sleep.

Take care

Janet

tom
    Participant

Hi Janet
    Hope its soon kicked into touch, I was on them for three days before i felt Better and when i say better i mean better, must have been poorly for a long time and the Ant's sorted that out?? but hey ho it worked, so looks like some time sunday you will be better 🙂

Have a good week end (well as best you can wi chest) and sunday you should be up and running.

Love Tom "Onwards and Upwards" xxx

Elizellen
    Participant

Which hospital are you attending, Janet?

One of our members might already have scoped them out and be able to give you the lowdown on where the yellow lines are.

Eliz
    XX
    X

Gill
    Participant

Dear Janet

It is a setback to find you have relapsed. My husband was diagnosed at 53 and had 16 month remission before he relapsed. He had a second SCT which did not take and has just had a course of revlimid. His pps are not too bad but there is other damage showing that the drugs are not working.

He too suffers from chest infections and coughs. I hope your cough improves soo

Gill

CarolBradley1
    Participant

Hi Janet
    So sorry to hear your news – we all dread it and wonder how we will react when it comes.
    Things have changed so much in five years and perhaps you could try lenalidomide or velcade – there are quite a lot of new things now.
    Anyway, you try and look after yourself and make an appointment to ask your ever growing list of questions . I am sure they will be happy to help you.
    Thinking of you at this worrying time.
    Love Carolxxx

faith
    Participant

Hi Eliz
    Sorry that I haven't replied before now, still got this chest infection.
    To your question I go to The Royal Worcester Hospital, Worcester.
    Hope someone will be able to tell me where I can park.

Love
    Janet
    xx

faith
    Participant

Hi Tom
    Still got this chest infection, went for an x ray. If no better by Friday have to take stronger antibiotics. Fed up with this stupid cough now.

Love Janet
    xx

faith
    Participant

Hi Carol

I know that a lot of things have changed after 5 years. I was on Thalidomide, have a few ongoing side affects but at least I was in remission for 5 years.I can also have another stem cell transplant.

Thanks
    Janet
    xx

faith
    Participant

Hi Gill

Sorry to hear about your husband, this is when we know that we are not on our own with this MM.

Love
    Janet
    xx

tom
    Participant

Hi Janet

Its a Bugger but I have had a cough and (forgive me) a lot of flem (uck) since i found out I had MM :-/ so it might be one of the symptom's when I think about it? anyways with my cough Elaine (the young bride) knows where I am in the shop lol.

Hope your soon better

Love and cough treatment
    Tom "Onwards and Upwards" xxx

Gill
    Participant

Cough relief

If it says balsam on the label and it is thick and brown Oh Boy does it relieve a cough.

Cures bugger all BUT taken in a little drop of very hot water it soothes no end.

Some of us oldies still have helpful ideas My mum would be 98 now and shoved Owbridges balsam down my throught every time I coughed. I don't think you can get Owbridges any more but can still get Cavonia Balsam

PS Thick brown balsam cough liquid contains NO drugs at all

DaiCro
    Participant

I was declared in full remission after my course of Velcade… my expected 5 year SCT remission turned out to have lasted just 10 months.. and so I hoped for a year or so from Velcade after a miserable 6 months of bad side-effects… after three days in remission I came down with a cold (6th October, 2011) and still had it when I was declared relapsed on 9th January, 2012. My relapse was actually shown in rising Kappa Light Chains on November 20th, so my official remission was six weeks – four of which were kept in the company of a stinker of a chest infection. Such is life with mm.:-P

But I respond well to treatment… I started my CDT course with a Kappa Light Chain reading of 3,600 and was down to 0, zero, zilch, after just 3 (of 4) cycles. And I was knocking on the door after 2 (of 6) cycles of Velcade… but soon as I come off treatment the ******* thing starts up again. Now I am on Revlimid & Dexamethasone, after narrowly missing out on a super new trial for Carfilzomib… I just hope that `Rev and Dex' take me through to the release, on licence, of Carfilzomib in this country. America, possibly in July this year and then the UK about 18/24 months later.:-0 🙂

But I am still here… First diagnosed with secondary bone cancer, primary unknown in April, 2008 and diagnosed, after moving from by beloved Wales to the most wonderful Nottingham City Hopital, in June 2009. I have extensive bone damage… of which 90% occurred between November '08 and May '09. Such is the post-code lottery in health care.

I remain positive… I am envious of those who have had decent remissions but I am glad for them… I just wish it had worked out for me… but there have been more than a few who came after me on this site and they have sadly and so untimely gone… so my envy is guarded and put into perspective… I am still here and I will follow whatever course of action keeps me going… I love life, I really do… but more so I love my wife and children and grandchildren and I have gathered, from experiences here, just how bad it can be for those left behind… so my solution is brainlessly easy… stay for as long as I can… and I am convinced that can only be achieved by positivity and the willingness to fight the disease by trusting the medics but keeping an eye out for the chances that come along.8-)

However long the remission a person may achieve, the second it is over they are back in the fold… just as vulnerable, just as frightened, just as worthy of our support, care and friendship.

So welcome Janet… I hope that we can be of help and I am sure that you can return that with interest.:-)

Dai.

Gill
    Participant

Goodness Dai 10 months makes Stephen's 16 months a lifetime:-)

It is heartbreaking to find that things aren't holding back the mm. I love your positivity Dai a lesson we can all learn from

Stephen has learnt to never ever talk about "when I'm gone" I am not in denial but can cope with "well if I go first" any others out there as silly as me?

Love to all Gill x

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Relapse after 5 years’ is closed to new replies.