returning to work

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  dickb 8 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

debbiebrooke123
    Participant

My husband found out he had myeloma when he had some breaks MRI showed 3 broken crushed and splinted vertebrae.He is doing really well on a trial and his levels were at 40,19 and are now at 2.8 after just 2 cycles of chemo .The next step is a transplant that’s after his vertaplasty (next week on my 50th) .The thing is work,he’s a bin man and they want to know when will he return to work although this treatment etc could take over a year we are really confused this is a manual job full of germs,consultant says if early retirement is what we want then so be it but the letter to release his pension doesn’t say ‘terminal’ that’s what his boss said does he go back or take retirement what have others done .He also has scoliosis and now has to walk with a stick because he is so bent over sorry for rambling on im really new to this thankyou x

cygnet
    Participant

Hi Debbie
    Sorry to hear you & your husband are having this additional stress on top of treatment. Is your husband a member of a union – because if he is his welfare rep might be able to help him?
    Good luck,
    C x

debbiebrooke123
    Participant

Hello C ,I have actually thought of this one so I might give it a try tomorrow.He isn’t going to be able to go back there that’s for sure ,he looks well and he’s really positive but that’s the steroids and tramodol pregablin and paracetomol along with all the other stuff we thought if we made a decision they would stop the constant asking for a return date because he looks like a fake but after today he’s become so depressed in amatter of hours

thanks x

robert0439
    Participant

Hi Debbie,

Sorry to hear of the dilemma which you and your husband are facing.

Do take a look at the Spring 2016 copy of the Myeloma Matters magazine where on page 10 and 11, there is an article on the role of the welfare rights advisor, who I suggest you speak to. You should be able to find one at your Macmillan centre where again they should have an office at your local hospital.

They should be able to advise and offer independant support on all of your concerns especially about early retirement and any benefits which you may be able to claim. Anyway, hope this kelps and good luck to you both.

Regards,

Robert

dickb
    Participant

Can’t help with work issues but if worse comes and you need to claim for ESA you should be put in the Support Group and that means you will be entitled to the higher amount with a review every 2 years. It’s still pants but at least it’s better than a lot of others.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘returning to work’ is closed to new replies.