Sad and confused

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Elizellen 12 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

LindaW
    Participant

Hi, sadly my dad passed away two weeks ago. He was diagnosed with myeloma only nine months ago and my family are devastated that he's gone. My dad was 71 and he was such a brave man. It was a tough nine months for him but he kept positive and always had that bit of hope that he would get more time. Sadly that didn't happen. I have great admiration for the way my dad dealt with his myeloma and the treatment and take some comfort in knowing that he is now rested and at peace.

I was looking through some of my dad's paperwork and was even more devastated when I found that the cause of death on his mother's deather certificate was Multiple Myeloma. We knew she died of a blood disorder but had no idea it was myeloma until now! She died in 1971 aged 68. It got me thinking about how she was treated back then…

I'm sure you can imagine what I was thinking when I saw the death certificate of my gran – is myeloma hereditary? Everything I've read states that there's no evidence that it's hereditary. It just seems strange that both my gran and father had it. I'm not overly worried to be honest just sad and confused.

I've learnt a lot about myeloma in the last nine months and my dad fought hard. He was such an inspiration and will be sadly missed.

gina45
    Participant

I am so sorry about your dad Linda, this disease is an awful disease, my mum has it and she is 71.
    We have been told that it isnt hereditary but can run in families but to be honest i dont think it has been proven.
    I know that they are looking at links with other cancers with blood relatives but again nothing has been proven.
    I really am sorry and i am thinking about you and your family at this sad time.
    Gina x

LindaW
    Participant

Thanks for your kind words Gina. Your right about myeloma being an awful disease and I hope your mum tries to keep positive throughout her treatment. It's not easy though and I fully understand what you and your mum are going through.

The myeloma clinical research teams do great work so you never know, they might just find a hereditary link at some point. Who knows?

At this moment in time there's so many questions I have that don't have answers but I expect that's a natural part of the grieving process and this might get better over time…x

gina45
    Participant

It will be hard for you because 2 weeks is still raw and you will be grieving and asking what if etc. My dad died in 1989 of Stomach cancer and my grandad and uncle of lung cancer. My mum as been asked by her hemotology nurse if she would speak to a someone and fill in a questionnaire and give bloods to see if there is link between different cancers with blood relatives, so she is doing it, we will see. We keep asking the question about it being hereditary and hopefully in time we will have answers.
    I hope you are ok and just take one day at a time, look after yourself, and if you need to chat then you know where i am.
    Gina x

tom
    Participant

Dear Linda

I am sorry to read that your Dad has passed away with this dreaded Illness.

I am sending hugs/love and prayers to you and your Family

Much Love

Tom xx

Elizellen
    Participant

So sorry to hear of your Dad's passing and interested in the possible hereditary connection.
    Is there any chance his medical team would be able to test you and your siblings to hopefully catch any early signs in any of you?

Eliz
    XX
    X

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Sad and confused’ is closed to new replies.