SCT – here comes!

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Vicki 11 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

peggy
    Participant

Well, I thought that I'd be way behind some people here in having my SCT but it seems that I've jumped the queue. I was phoned up and asked if I'd like to accept a cancellation and I agreed.

Initially I was to have my chemo on the 6th December, be sent home, to return on the 11th for isolation. but then I received another phone call saying that as my kidneys were in such a poor condition it would necessitate greater vigilance and I would have to be an in-patient from before my chemo. So now I'll be in from the 11th,to have my Hickman line put in, get my chemo on the 13th and recover from then onwards. Unfortunately it seems as though I'll be in for both Christmas and the New Year! Still, I ought to be out for my daughter's 18th birthday in mid Jan.

I feel quite excited and also quite anxious about the forthcoming stay. I'm not sure what to bring: I'll be feeling well for the first couple of days so I'll have to take something to occupy me. After that I suppose that it will hit me and I won't care any more. But how many nightclothes will I require? Anything obvious that I might need or might forget? Any suggestions welcome from those that have already experienced the procedure.

Regards to all,
    Peggy

tom
    Participant

Hi Peggy

I went in on the 1st December 2009 and was released on the 16th Dec and my xmas and new year was cancled till 2010 🙁 but it was well worth it 😀
    How much nite cloths?? well am sure you will be told you can never have enough with you.

I am sure the recovery will go smooth for you

Love Tom "Onwards and upwrards" xx

Vicki
    Participant

Hi Peggy,

Good luck to you!, Colin as you might know had his SCT done just recently so it's fresh in my mind. He took in DVD player, kindle, iPad, some writing paper. I would say he used each of them only a small amount as tiredness and concentration wained, as did from time to time not feeling up to it!. There is a tv in the room and that stayed on a lot as background noise and company.

With regard to nightclothes, I usually took in three days worth at a time, and washed ironed and aired the clothes each day. Clean towel and flannel daily. Got some nice john sons baby shampoo for hair or lack of it!, and some sanex or e45 shower gels as non perfumed. Took on some mouthwash but that was pointless as they provided salt water washes and muguard.

Colin was not keen on the food but I was allowed to take in fruit pots or rice pudding as long as nothing came from the chiller cabinet and were 'long life' products. I took in some day clothes for him to dress in to too, but that only happened at the end when he felt better.

Hope this helps

Vicki and Colin x

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘SCT – here comes!’ is closed to new replies.