Second SCT

This topic contains 21 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  Elizellen 11 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author

Mari
    Participant

Hi Ali,

Yes this is Steve's second transplant. Some people have been told that if they manage to harvest a large number of cells then they can be stored to be used at a later date. They dont seem to do this at Kings, they do so many transplants that they dont have enough room for storage. Steve harvested about 5 million last time and they were all put back in one go. We were slightly concerned at the time in case he would not have a chance at another later transplant. However when his consultant suggested a second transplant, he did not seem to be at all concerned over any difficulties with a second harvest. Steve has been receiving double GCSF injections and he is booked in for three days for harvest, just in case there are any problems. Steve has been having some rib pain and he has done a fair bit of sleeping this weekend, so we are hopefully that his stem cells are doing their thing. He is already in bed, he has to be in hospital in London at 8.30 and is catching the train at 6.30 tomorrow morning. Both my daughter and I have offered to go with him but he is being very brave and insisting he will be fine, I hope he will but on the quiet I have arranged to take a day off work on Wednesday to drive him up if he still needs to go in. I hope it all goes well for your mum, have a good day and here's to millions of lovely little stem cells,

Love to you both, Mari xx

Ali
    Participant

Hi Mari

Im up and just about to get ready for todays events. Like Stephen , Mums got to be at hospital for 8.30am, at least the hospital is not too far (30 minute drive). The committee- spelling? at this time in a morning! (me and my Dad) are going along for support. Dads off work this week and I have put a days annual leave in. I have packed a picnic and am taking along the kids portable dvd player so we are not too fed up!. Mums been in terrible pain over the weekend, like you say lets hope the stem cells are doing their thing!.

Stephen is very brave – maybe its just something hes got to do alone, and lets hope you dont have to go with him on Wednesday and that he collects enough before then!

Will be thinking of you….

Love Alison x

Ps I will keep you informed

Mari
    Participant

Morning Ali,

Just waved him off, he said he was feeling fine but I hated him going off alone. I guess it might be easier second time around. He says it's not painful, or even very uncomfortable, just very very boring. I think he will probably sleep as much as he can. Last time the staff were very good at providing tea coffee biscuits sandwiches and even fruit and crips so he has not carried food with him. He has his phone, book and laptop for entertainment. I just put the 'magic' anaesthetic cream onto one wrist where he will have the first cannula placed. Once that is in they will take blood and there will be an hour or so hanging around while they wait for results. They will put more cream on the opposite elbow while he is waiting and then hopefully it's in with the second cannula and on to the machine for the rest of the day.

I hope you all have a good day and an excellent harvest,

Much love Mari xxx

Mari
    Participant

Dear Eve, Vicki, and all

Thank you for all your good wishes, it's so good to be able to fall back on such a wealth of shared wisdom and experience, it's like having a huge family gathering round for support. I dont have much family, and, apart from our two children, all that I have are too tied up with their own problems to be very supportive, so your support really means a great deal.

Yes our holiday is all booked and we fly off on Saturday morning, it's something we all need badly, it has been a pretty awful year, what with one thing and another, so really looking forward to some time in the sun.

Eve, I agree, I have been wondering about Gill and Stephen, she has posted a bit but not since the end of June, like you, I hope things are OK for them

Much love to all,

Mari xx

tom
    Participant

Hey good luck to you all today am sure it will go well

Tom "Onwards and Upwards xxxx

Vicki
    Participant

Hi Mari,

I just wanted to drop you a line, hoping that all went well with Stephen and his second harvest. I too am just a bit relieved at the thought of being allowed a second go if needs be. Colin's consultant said she was worried they wouldn't get enough for one SCT let alone two! I am worried because the preflixor (sorry I mean that injection that boosts mobilisation), is not available in the south west so I hope the gcsf injections do their things!). I understand how hard it must have been for you to let Stephen go on his, I am following Colin around, fussing like a mother hen!:-D

Best wishes to all

Vicki

Elizellen
    Participant

I hope all is going well for both Stephen and Ali's Mum!

Love
    Eliz
    XX
    X

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Second SCT’ is closed to new replies.