Secondary MGUS

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  susantr 7 years ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

susantr
    Participant

Hi

I was diagnosed with mm in February 2016, which came as a huge shock. After 4 rounds of CTD to which I achieved a VGPR I went on to have an autologous SCT in June 2016. The process nearly killed me as I suffered a brain haemorrhage and lost the sight in my left eye.  The day 100 bm showed I was MRD-ve (yay) and my bloods showed sCR (yay again!). Things could not be any better until… December. I developed a pp of 6.6. I have light chain myeloma so the only protein I had was absence Jones. My pp showed several intact immunoglobulins ie IgG kappa, IgG lambda, IgM kappa and IgA kappa.  I was told that I had relapsed and because it was 6 short months after SCT I had aggressive disease.  The plan was to commence induction chemo again and be put forward for an allogeneic transplant.  I was shocked. It was worse than being diagnosed and I felt it had all been for nothing.  I trawled the internet looking for answers and came across an article regarding secondary mgus. This sounded very much like what I was experiencing (a new isotope different from that at diagnosis) (I had lambda flc disease). I asked the consultant if this could be secondary mgus, recapitulation of the immune system and was promptly told no. I had many new clones and it required treatment.  I had another bm which came back MRD-ve. Great! I went back to see the consultant and was told that I must have a plasmacytoma somewhere which is producing the pp. I asked for a PET scan and again asked could this be secondary mgus. No was the answer.  I had the scan and awaited the results fearfully.  Christmas and New Year celebrations had been a write off.  I really did try for my family’s sake. At the end of January I received the result of the scan.  I had no myelomatous hot spots. It was clean. I went back to hospital for f/u and was told I had secondary mgus.

I am really glad I did my research. I could have ended up back on chemo without needing it.

Anyone else experiencing/experienced secondary mgus. I would love to know.

Sue

bluelibran
    Participant

Wow. Thanks for sharing.

docmike
    Participant

Dear Sue ,
    Congratulations on your brilliant detective work which required both endeavour and courage . As a doctor who has had myeloma 8 years and who therefore has searched the literature I admit i d not come across secondaru mgus . Thank you .
    However it confirms my view that I have held for 12 years(long story )that patients forums are a very powerful resource and there is such a thing as making yourself an expert on your own condition and giving support to others .This is an important thread as secondary mugus occurs in about 6% especially after asct and is associated with a better outcome . I quote two references for those who want more details; R Wadhera et al (Mayo clinic of course)Blood 2011;118(11):2985-2987. Zou et al Biol blood marrow Transplant 20 (2014)319-325 .
    Had you not done you research you would have been on repeat chemo!
    I am trying to get my head round being mrd -ve and having a polyclonal gammopathy .
    Best wishes
    Mike

susantr
    Participant

Dear Mike

Thank you for your reply and kind words. I do believe in gaining as much knowledge about ones disease as possible, even though at times it is not comfortable reading. If I have helped one person with this information then I am happy. Another well know phenomenon is oligoclonal banding which commonly occurs after asct.  Fingers crossed that the articles are correct regarding longer PFS. I’ll take that all day long :0)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Secondary MGUS’ is closed to new replies.