Shingles advice please!

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  admin 13 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

jills
    Participant

Hi everyone,

I am a carer for my Mum who is 82 and was diagnosed with MM in 2007. She has had chemo with a good response and is currently in plateau, taking a small dose of cyclophosphamide (50mg) daily plus regular Penicillin. However, today she has been diagnosed with shingles which is uncomfortable for her and her GP has not suggested any treatment. I know some of you have had shingles and wondered if you had any advice. I haven't called her consultant yet (we have an appointment next week anyway). I think her GP may feel it is too late for antivirals anyway as the rash started last Thursday but hopefully this means it should start to improve over the next few days! I have given her some calamine lotion and some snti itch cream, not sure what else to do! Any suggestions welcome, Thanks,
    Jill

annd
    Participant

Hi Jill
    I developed shingles about 4 weeks ago and the rash has improved considerably but there are still times when I get stabbing pains -a bit like a wasp sting and I do still feel tired.I did take Acyclovir for 7 days and have used 2 bottles of calamine lotion.
    Cold patches were very soothing including a wheat bag that we usually heat up
    but put in the freezer this time.
    I also had a few paracetomol at the beginning and rested most of the first week.
    The GP said if I was left with any residual pain there were creams and medications I could have.
    Hope your Mum soon feels better
    Ann

BADGER
    Participant

Hello Jill
    I had shingles last summer terribly painful I am really sympathetic for your mum I think she was a bit late for the antivirol but the doctor could have offered her some aciclovir cream I tried an old treatment which was dabbing the pustals with cider vinegar you smell a bit chip shoppy but it worked better than camomile and dried it up quite quickly the pain lingered a long time after the rash had

Regards Jo x

admin
    Keymaster

Ask the Doctor if Daily 500mg Valacyclovir would prevent this. I'm not sure .It might be limited by NICE, but that would be a scandal.

I take it as I have herpes and treatment favourises shingles attacks – I haven't been bothered with this (touch wood) over the last six months.

Good luck.

Nigel

admin
    Keymaster

Its not too late for the antvirals, as this will go on as long as she is getting treatment. Acyclovir is good but valacyclovir is better. Don't take no for an answer – creams and ice packs ! The shingles can degrade and lead to bedsores which can become out of control get infected and create all sort of nasties …

Again good luck

jills
    Participant

Thanks for your advice. Both her GP and consultant have spoken to me and explained that anti virals would not be effective now and would probably give her other unpleasant side effects which they want to avoid. They are also not keen on strong painkillers as these can cause confusion etc and so concerned about her as she lives alone. In fact she does seem a little better today, the blisters are healing over now and the pain doesn't seem to be too bad, she mainly just gets very itchy in the evening. The cream I got for her (Eurax) does seem to help but the main part of the rash is on one of her bottom cheeks which doesn't help when she is sitting down. I am not too concerned about bedsores as she has not taken to her bed but prefers to be up and about. She is really quite tough for her age – I am very impressed with her!
    She has never had shingles before and I hope can avoid getting it again. Her consultant has stopped the cyclophosphamide but kept her on daily Penicillin to protect against any infection.
    Thanks again,

Jill

admin
    Keymaster

Huhm, so the consultant says the Shingles wont come back when they've gone away? Ok, but if I've understood what they're doing with me, its a general prophylaxis and they started it at the start of treatment and will stop it when the treatment is over, and that suits me. I'm glad she's active and building on her healthiness.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Shingles advice please!’ is closed to new replies.