Some Finger Miss

This topic contains 13 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  comfortablynumb 12 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

comfortablynumb
    Participant

Hello again.

The index finger of my left hand has recently become difficult to bend. I am unable to form a fist with it as it will not clench far enough. It is often worse in the mornings and sometimes goes away after it is lightly excercised. There is not really any pain, but it is uncomfortable and sometimes makes a muffled "click" when flexed. I also get a lot of "dead arm" in the night (left arm only).

I play the guitar (a lot) and I believe this finger does a lot of the physical work involved. It probably has the most stress put upon it. I have played for about 35 years.

Having had stem-cell treatment, everything like this usually leads me to suspect the dreaded MM. I have been in remission for almost two years and the only treatment I have now is Zometa every two months.

I wonder if it might be unrelated to bone problems – maybe arthritis or tendinitis.

If I was to pick up the guitar and play now, the finger would be fine within about five minutes of use. It gets better with excercise.

Anyway. That's it. A very minor thing, but worth mentioning I think.

Sorry about the rubbish thread title.

John

DaiCro
    Participant

Hi John,

I too am a guitarist (see the Off Topic for some of my songs) and I dread my current Velcade treatment giving me PN in my hands – playing and singing keeps me sane. Of course only the medics can ease your fears but by the way you describe you condition (especially how it eases after use) it sounds suspiciously like tendonitis to me.

Hopefully.8-)

Dai.

brocho
    Participant

Hi Johnsounds ike you have solved the myster your self but you are so right we all wonder if its the dreaded mm rearing its ugly head !! You could always try playing the piano sorry silly joke love Bridget

tom
    Participant

Hi John

Yep it looks like you have it sorted, and you are correct having what we have every little twinge is treated as "Its Back" when it aint 😀 but safe thing to do is get it checked out, but continue to play. should get all you musicians together to cut/burn a record

Good Luck with it

Tom

DaiCro
    Participant

'Should get all you musicians together to cut/burn a record…Tom'.

Its something that has played on my mind for some time Tom.. the possibility of a fundraiser/awareness raiser… with performances by MM patients and a few well chosen presenters and guest musicians… recorded 'Live' and the concert put out on CD/MP3's from this site and selected stores (especially a certain online store).

Not so long ago I would have done this at a drop of the hat… but… actually… no excuses really… perhaps I should just start a few enquiries and trust to feeling well enough to see it through… its the very least I can do.. even a relatively small event could still produce an excellent album… with the right producers aboard.

Hmmm… now where is that little black book?8-) 🙂 :'-(

Dai.

jmsmyth
    Participant

Dai

What a briliant idea!!! I am a carer and unfortunately I am tone deaf – my boys say when I sing I sound like a "scalded cat"

It would be a lot of work but if it got off the ground I would try and help in any way that I could.

Take care
    Love Jean xx

DaiCro
    Participant

Ha, well the production team is forming, thanks Jean, I'll do a little exploring of ideas with Myeloma UK and possibly MacMillan and see if there is any interest..

It will have to be examined, a proposal put forward and a viability report showing concert and recording costs plus reproduction, artwork et al. The initial point would be to ensure that the concert was profitable (looking at a 300 seat venue with a collaborative venture or door split, say 60/40 in favour of the cause but they take any losses). That puts the venue on its mettle to help 'sell' the concert. The recording could be done by either the in-house sound engineer or by a guest industry producer (a noted name pressed into charitable service). The costs come in the engineering of the mixing and mastering process, where a recording studio will have to be found and paid for (hopefully by the revenue from the concert). Once the masters are in place it is over to CD design and finally the reproduction run of say a 1,0000 barcoded, ISBN numbed Cd's for the marketplace.

A typical £9.95 CD will cost about £2.50 to produce – so the profit margins can be excellent from direct sales and still healthy from middle-man sales too (Based on £6.50 to them – giving them £3.25 profit per unit… a fair mark up). This is based on an initial planned run of say 1,000 units – a run of 5,000 would make the costs significantly less.

The project would need an organisation or individual to underwrite against loss while the CD is put together… depending on how ambitious the project turns out to be. If, for instance we had a 50/50 split of MMer's and established artists in the concert and on the CD… then the project would take on a different direction – a concert hall of 500/750 + and everything else stepped up to suit. If we got a major celebrity to front for us, finding collaborative funding, getting sponsorship to underwrite the project… then the creative, artistic, technical and commercial processes and procedures would become a piece of cake.

But baby-steps for now as we examine possibilities.:-)

Dai.

tom
    Participant

Babysteps, cant wait for the real thing 🙂 I can make tea 🙂 and offer crisps for sale cos MY voice is well dont ask he he.

Good Luck Dai

Tom "onwards and upwards"

jmsmyth
    Participant

Hi Dai

Oh boy sounds such a lot of work. I wish you the very best. I AM WITH TOM!!

Love Jean

DaiCro
    Participant

Thanks Tom and Jean,

Ideas are inspirational not frightening… I know the processes and procedures inside out but it is not the technical know how that matters, it is the enthusiasm, countered by fiscal realities and firm commitment that either quenches or instills the confidence to move forward towards an actual event.

In truth I imagine that the powers that be may well think it a beautiful idea but will be cautious about any involvement that needs initial capital investment… and I understand that kind of caution when everything you have is already committed one way or another. But there are ways… collaborative venturing with venues, getting a couple of well known production 'experts' on board, who will attract the necessary 'voices' to front the musical side of the project (dependent on the type of music we choose and the level of ambition settled on from the start).

It sounds like hard work but it is not so hard in reality… in reality it is about people inspiring people to examine ideas, decide on a level of ambition… and then come the emails, commitments and details… that's when the devil arrives, in the details. :'-( For devil read MM and those who might be forced to backtrack, delay or simply drop out. Which is why it would be important to have either MMUK or MacMillans as the lead body doing the admin and having their banner across the project.

Baby steps and then we will see, 🙂

Dai.

comfortablynumb
    Participant

I wonder whether the distances between us would make this difficult.

For instance, I live near Gatwick Airport.

I think you should start a new thread about this, so more people get to see it.

😎

DaiCro
    Participant

Hi John,

I imagine consensus and best market would dictate a central concert venue… I was thinking of our patron, the wonderful Maureen Lipton and the possibility of a West End Theatre for one night only… but there are a hundred Arts Centre venue if that idea fails… 😎 😀

Baby steps, think big and stay big… that's my take for what it is worth… and we are worth it. 😎

Dai.

brocho
    Participant

Hi Dai I think its a brilliant idea and thankyou for running with it Yes you are worth it and as you say THINK BIG and baby steps will get the job done love Bridget x ps I have no artistic talent but I could be a cloakroom chic !!

comfortablynumb
    Participant

Back on the original subject, I spoke to the consultant about this at my two-monthly checkup.

He said I have slightly lowered calcium levels and this might be something to do with it. But he said it is more likely to be repetitive Stress injury due to the guitar playing.

He even suggested I might give it a rest for a while. :-S

Anyone coming to the West Chiltington Beer festival in Sussex on Saturday will see me with my band the Ant Hill Mob on at 20:30. Then I am at The Sun pub in Godalming Surrey on July 30th with another band called "Fraize". And on August 26th at the Garibaldi pub in Redhill Surrey with my blues band – Midnight Mover.

Sorry doc.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Some Finger Miss’ is closed to new replies.