Some good news

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  ianbvge 4 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

ianbvge
    Participant

I just had a phone call from my Haematology consultant about my blood test results going into Cycle 2 of DVT starting tomorrow. Paraproteins down to 3 (!), all other blood numbers are good. It’ll take another couple of weeks to get the FLC numbers as well. I’m very happy about all that. Biggest practical problem at the moment apart from the constipation, and I’m aiming to be more proactive about that – is the ankle/foot oedema, which is getting to the point where putting shoes on is quite a battle. I have naturally high insteps anyway, which makes finding comfortable shoes hard enough even without the swelling. The consultant didn’t like the idea of diuretics yesterday because of possible kidney complications, but he’s changed his mind now and says a short course of mild diuretics from the GP would be worth trying. So I’ll try it.

ianbvge
    Participant

More blood test results to accompany my Velcade injection today – PPs down to just 2. My doctor (GP) wants a first-hand examination of my ankle, foot (and now left calf as well) oedema before prescribing anything, and that’s not until Tuesday (six days away). The cancer nurses advised that I should use the same-day “emergency” system to get an appointment tomorrow, which means hanging on the phone from 8am for however long it takes to get through.
    Still lucky to have no reaction to the Velcade or serious reaction to Dex – I know others have a much harder time with those.

thespider
    Participant

Hi. I’ve just been reading your great news … I hope you are continuing to improve.

Could I just ask you about your swollen ankles/feet?? My husband is being treated for myeloma and suspected amyloids (just waiting for test results). His feet and ankles have swollen massively. Were you told this was due to the condition or the medication??

I hope you don’t mind me asking and I wish you all the best.

Thespider

ianbvge
    Participant

I wouldn’t go as far as “massively” – my mother had moderate elephantiasis in the last years of her life, so I know what that looks like, and this isn’t anywhere near as bad. I have swelling around the top of the ankles and on the instep – combined, enough to make getting shoes on very difficult. I have a naturally high instep anyway, which makes it hard enough to find comfortable shoes. I’ve also had some slight swelling of the left calf – enough to make a noticeable difference in the tightness of the two trouser legs. My consultant has said it’s a predictable side-effect of steroids (Dexamethasone 20mg, two days of each week), and that matches many online sources. I’m now taking a low-strength diuretic Furosamide 40mg which is having a slight effect, but I’ve not been on it long. I don’t believe that it’s a direct result of myeloma.
    The main thing is to spend as much time as possible with legs elevated at, or preferably above, heart level – which is difficult while also trying to live a reasonably normal life. My feet, for instance, are on the floor right now…
    Until I started the diuretic I found that on getting up in the morning, the swelling was down by 50% or so. The last few days, it’s been down close to 100% – but it comes back within an hour or so. I haven’t yet tried sleeping with a pillow or something to raise my legs higher – I have trouble enough sleeping because of the dex – so I’m keeping that one in reserve for the time being. Sounds to me as if maybe you should give it a try.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.