STC Failed!

This topic contains 9 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  AndyS 11 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

AndyS
    Participant

I had my regular appointment today and my consultant confirmed what I'd already worked out. The Myeloma is back.

I had my STC at the end of September and came through it really well and by January I felt better than I had done for years. Blood test results since my STC were:
    1/Para protein detectable but not measurable.
    2/ Ditto
    3/Undetectable complete remission.
    4/ pp5.6
    5/ pp 25
    I've had a few very good months so I have no regrets but a few more would have been nice.
    The bone pain has started to come back and I'm pretty anemic. I start on Velcade and steroids on the 19th. My hospital won't do subcu injections until Velcade is licensed which I gather will be within the next month or so.
    Oh well. Ho hum. And its raining. Bloody weather! Bloody myeloma!

Helen
    Participant

Oh Andy
    What can I say? It's so difficult, and very disappointing, and every other emotion all over again….. I'm so sorry. But you just have to do what ever you can and hope it works for as long as possible, are they going to repeat the SCT as well?
    Hope the Velcade works well for you.
    Keep in touch and let us know how you get on.
    Love Helen

Eva
    Participant

Dear Andy,
    I'm sorry about the stress you must be going through. I have read about cases in which someone has failed a transplant but has then gone on to respond well to other treatments. I didn't know that when I had my transplant and it made me worry too much about the efficacy of the procedure. Of course, it's disappointing because there is such a build-up to the transplant with all the steps involved in preparing for it.
    Very best,
    Eva

AndyS
    Participant

Thank you for your kind thoughts Helen and Eva. My consultant thinks that if STC fails as early as mine has, the next one is very likely going to fail quickly too. Given the amount of time and discomfort involved with stem cell treatment, I will see what the Velcade can do for a while. The first cycle starts two days after we were due to go on holiday to France so I think we may be having a stay-cation this summer. Watching the drought lashing against the windows will cheer us up no end.
    Keep plodding on!
    Andy

KeithH17
    Participant

Hi Andy,sorry the SCT didn't work my first one lasted 2yrs 4mths but the 2nd only 8mths.
    In some cases the second can be longer than the first but I think it's rare for this to be the case.
    I had Velcade after my first relapse and it worked very well and I hope this to be the case for you also.
    The side effects were very minor in my case and my PP's came down from 14 to 2.9 so best of luck.

Keith.

tom
    Participant

Hi Andy well I am sorry the SCT hasn#t worked for you, this MM is a devil to work out everybody differant with the outcome to the treatment?.

I hope the new treatment works for you with no or little side effects.
    Keep strong and well plus dont let the drought wet you hair 🙂

Tom "Onwards and Upwards"

BADGER
    Participant

hello Andy

so sorry your SCT hasnt worked it is so frustrating because you must have been full of hope I hope the next treatment is the one for you
    Love Jo x

eve
    Participant

Hi Andy
    If it is any help Slim had Velcade, and found it easier than CDT.except more visits to the hospital.Twice a week and twice a day.Bloods then Velcade hrs later.
    Velcade is having a remarkable effect on some people.
    Good luck Eve

mhnevill
    Participant

Hi Andy

Like everyone else I am sorry your remission only lasted such a short time. I think you are right not to go for a second SCT at the mement. I do hope Velcade works well for you and that you manage to get it by injection fairly soon. If so, do you do it yourself, or do you still have to have it done in Hospital?

All best wishes.

Mavis x

AndyS
    Participant

Hello Mavis,
    I have to get it done at hospital because although the injection is very small and quick it is done through a cannula and needs to be accompanied with a saline flush. Tuesdays and Fridays at hospital is a bore but its only 20 minutes down the road so compared with some poor souls, I've got it very easy really. Also the day clinic is a very cheerful and friendly place so again, I'm quite positive. I just want to get on with it now.
    Thank you all.
    Andy

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘STC Failed!’ is closed to new replies.