Stem cell stimulation

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  duclady 1 year, 1 month ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

gc
    Participant

Hi. I’m new to the forum. It’s been so helpful reading. I was diagnosed in January this year. I’m on a Radar trial and the treatment plan is for me to have a stem cell transplant.
    I’ve had an overnight stay in hospital on high dose chemo to stimulate stem cell production prior to harvest. Then I’ve had injections at home. Ive to go to hospital for daily blood tests to check the levels of stem cells now in my blood. Unfortunately these levels are low. Ive to give myself an injection tonight then back tomorrow for more tests. I’m just wondering if this has happened to anyone else? I feel quite isolated right now. Thanks

mulberry
    Participant

Hi GC

This is quite a common occurrence. We patients are initially given a drug to stimulate stem cell production that is moderate cost and moderate effectiveness. It does work for a proportion of us. There is a much more effective drug, which costs a lot more. This will be the drug that you’ve now been given. There is an excellent chance that it’ll will work this time. I hope you produce lots of lovely stem cells.

Jane

mmsuffrah
    Participant

Hi GC, 6 years ago I did not produce sufficient stem cells after 3/4 days using granulocyte colony-stimulating factor, or GCSF self administered injections. At the end of the session I was then given a drug called plerixafor which they told me would take 12 hours to work (which it did almost to the minute, 3 separate flushes through my body as it seemed to release the stem cells) and I produced ample stem cells for 2 x STC’s the following day.

duclady
    Participant

Hi there
    Back in 2017 I tried GCSF and couldn’t mobilise stem cells I had plerixafor and still couldn’t mobilise so I had another plerixafor and managed to harvest enough cells for two transplants
    Good luck in getting those little babies 🙂

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.