Stem cell transplant

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  ironbear62 2 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

shropshirelass
    Participant

My husband is currently receiving a stem cell transplant. He had both covid vaccines before his admission into hospital.
    He has been told that although he should receive a covid booster after chemotherapy this will not be available due to government restrictions. This is a bit overwhelming at the moment as this is an extremely stressful time.
    Has anybody got any advice on this please.

paulapurple
    Participant

I assume this is because he has had his two vaccinations already. A friend of mine has just come home from her SCT. She was told not to have the vaccine before she went in so that she could have them afterwards, along with her other ones. Are you Shropshire? Is he in the QE in Brum? I’m Shrewsbury and had mine in the QE.
    The government announced yesterday that those of us on the extremely vulnerable list will probably be having boosters in the autumn, presumably along with our flu jabs so surely he will get some protection from this. It might be an idea to ring the Myeloma UK help/info line as I am sure they will have the latest info.
    If you haven’t done already, I’d join the UK Myeloma Support Group on Facebook; you will get swifter replies and more of them from a community full of experience and useful information.
    Good luck. Hope his SCT goes smoothly.
    Paula

shropshirelass
    Participant

Thanks you for your advice. I have replied to you directly but thank you, I will certainly start researching that one.

ironbear62
    Participant

Hi, I had both of my Pfizer vaccines in Jan and April this year before having my SCT in QE Birmingham a month late, which I’ve just about recovered from. I was invited to be re-vaccinated in a letter from the consultant as I am now considered “never vaccinated.” After many phone calls, my GP contacted the Clinical Commissioning group and they are going to offer me another Covid vaccine soon in Shrewsbury. Confusion reigned because my transplant was in Brum but I live in Shropshire, nobody communicates or shares info, and I don’t fit any of their tick boxes!
    I hope things work out well for you.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.