Stem cell transplant or no?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  mhnevill 8 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

candyfloss71
    Participant

<span style=”font-family: Arial, Helvetica; font-size: 12px; line-height: 17px; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; background-color: #f7f7f7;”>Hi my mother is 70 and was. Diagnosed in January with multiple myeloma she has nearly finished four rounds of chemo and the consultant wants to do a stem cell transplant, my mother is refusing, the consultant has told her she she will have another 15 months with the transplant but she is gathering she will lose about a year of her life through feeling so unwell and therefore has decided it’s just not worth it</span><br style=”margin: 0px; padding: 0px; font-family: Arial, Helvetica; font-size: 12px; line-height: 17px; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto;” /><br style=”margin: 0px; padding: 0px; font-family: Arial, Helvetica; font-size: 12px; line-height: 17px; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto;” /><span style=”font-family: Arial, Helvetica; font-size: 12px; line-height: 17px; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; background-color: #f7f7f7;”>it She doesn’t drink ( although smoked for twenty years, now stopped) is very slim etc </span><br style=”margin: 0px; padding: 0px; font-family: Arial, Helvetica; font-size: 12px; line-height: 17px; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto;” /><br style=”margin: 0px; padding: 0px; font-family: Arial, Helvetica; font-size: 12px; line-height: 17px; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto;” /><span style=”font-family: Arial, Helvetica; font-size: 12px; line-height: 17px; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; background-color: #f7f7f7;”>Also I am worried about what future holds for me I gather it’s not hereditary but the Internet also says your four times more likely to get it of a close family member has it? </span><br style=”margin: 0px; padding: 0px; font-family: Arial, Helvetica; font-size: 12px; line-height: 17px; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto;” /><br style=”margin: 0px; padding: 0px; font-family: Arial, Helvetica; font-size: 12px; line-height: 17px; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto;” /><span style=”font-family: Arial, Helvetica; font-size: 12px; line-height: 17px; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; background-color: #f7f7f7;”>She won’t ask the consultant any detailed question so I can’t be any more help of what stage she is at but I’m gathering stage three, should she have the transplant do you think or is it just not worth it ? </span><br style=”margin: 0px; padding: 0px; font-family: Arial, Helvetica; font-size: 12px; line-height: 17px; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto;” /><br style=”margin: 0px; padding: 0px; font-family: Arial, Helvetica; font-size: 12px; line-height: 17px; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto;” /><span style=”font-family: Arial, Helvetica; font-size: 12px; line-height: 17px; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; background-color: #f7f7f7;”>Many thanks</span>

candyfloss71
    Participant

<span style=”font-family: Arial, Helvetica; font-size: 12px; line-height: 17px; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; background-color: #f7f7f7;”>Hi my mother is 70 and was. Diagnosed in January with multiple myeloma she has nearly finished four rounds of chemo and the consultant wants to do a stem cell transplant, my mother is refusing, the consultant has told her she she will have another 15 months with the transplant but she is gathering she will lose about a year of her life through feeling so unwell and therefore has decided it’s just not worth it</span><br style=”margin: 0px; padding: 0px; font-family: Arial, Helvetica; font-size: 12px; line-height: 17px; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto;” /><br style=”margin: 0px; padding: 0px; font-family: Arial, Helvetica; font-size: 12px; line-height: 17px; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto;” /><span style=”font-family: Arial, Helvetica; font-size: 12px; line-height: 17px; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; background-color: #f7f7f7;”>it She doesn’t drink ( although smoked for twenty years, now stopped) is very slim etc </span><br style=”margin: 0px; padding: 0px; font-family: Arial, Helvetica; font-size: 12px; line-height: 17px; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto;” /><br style=”margin: 0px; padding: 0px; font-family: Arial, Helvetica; font-size: 12px; line-height: 17px; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto;” /><span style=”font-family: Arial, Helvetica; font-size: 12px; line-height: 17px; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; background-color: #f7f7f7;”>Also I am worried about what future holds for me I gather it’s not hereditary but the Internet also says your four times more likely to get it of a close family member has it? </span><br style=”margin: 0px; padding: 0px; font-family: Arial, Helvetica; font-size: 12px; line-height: 17px; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto;” /><br style=”margin: 0px; padding: 0px; font-family: Arial, Helvetica; font-size: 12px; line-height: 17px; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto;” /><span style=”font-family: Arial, Helvetica; font-size: 12px; line-height: 17px; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; background-color: #f7f7f7;”>She won’t ask the consultant any detailed question so I can’t be any more help of what stage she is at but I’m gathering stage three, should she have the transplant do you think or is it just not worth it ? </span><br style=”margin: 0px; padding: 0px; font-family: Arial, Helvetica; font-size: 12px; line-height: 17px; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto;” /><br style=”margin: 0px; padding: 0px; font-family: Arial, Helvetica; font-size: 12px; line-height: 17px; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto;” /><span style=”font-family: Arial, Helvetica; font-size: 12px; line-height: 17px; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; background-color: #f7f7f7;”>Many thanks</span>

Dorothy
    Participant

Difficult to read your message BUT I had a stem cell transplant 11 years ago It worked and gave me 11 years remission – I am just facing another SCT hope to have another 11 years.

Carolsymons
    Participant

If mum can avoid infections she will not be ill for a year after transplant…a couple of months and you recover.

Carol

jills
    Participant

Hard to read your message properly but you have to respect your Mum’s decision as SCT is not an easy process although Carol is right that a year of feeling ill is not the norm. The non SCT treatments for MM are improving every day, my Mum is 86, diagnosed with MM seven years ago and is still working her way through the various treatments (she was too old for SCT).
    As to the risk to you I guess the way to look at it is that one in three of us will apparently get some form of cancer, you could spend a lot of time worrying about it rather than living life.
    All the best
    Jill

mhnevill
    Participant

Hi,

I am now 70! Was diagnosed nearly five years ago. Had one lot Of treatment CDT, four years ago and have been in remission since. I didn’t want a SCT for same reason as your mum. I have monthly ZOMETA and meds for bone pain, but don’t regret not pushing for SCT as not everyone gets a long remission.

Best wishes to you and your mum.

Mavis

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Stem cell transplant or no?’ is closed to new replies.