Strength and fatigue

Tagged: 

This topic contains 17 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  blackburnmark 1 year, 9 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author

kh0305

Hi Mark,
    My dad was diagnosed at 62 and had been fit and healthy up until the symptoms of the MM kicked in. By 18 months later, after struggling with strength and fatigue issues and the usual bone pain, anaemia etc he was very much back to normal and had 7 years of remission before relapse kicked in – we are currently working through treatment for the relapse so the fatigue is back but nowhere near as badly as the first time round and he’s still getting out and about for trips away etc albeit at a slower pace but I’m sure once these final 5 rounds of treatment are through he will be virtually back to normal again like last time… Keep positive xx

richfs

Hi Mark,

Well, you’ve certainly sparked a telling of difficult but positive stories! I’m really glad that they’re helping you to get some hope for your future. The diagnosis of myeloma is such a huge shock, especially to fit and active people, and the medical teams focus on treating the disease, as they should. It’s difficult not to sink into despair.

A month before suffering an unexpected fractured rib in November 2018, I’d run 3 or 4 miles a day to clock up 100 miles in a month. 2 months later I was skiing in the Czech Republic (after which I could barely walk due to rib pain), 3 weeks later I was fine, but then within a couple of months I was in a bad way, was quickly diagnosed with myeloma and by the time treatment started a couple of weeks later, I could barely walk across the room.

My bone pain improved gradually during treatment, but I’ve definitely been left with some ‘residual pain’, which is generally very manageable.

Last year I cycled a total of 1,000 miles, and each of the last 3 years I’ve been on some 15-mile hikes on the South West Coast Path and Dartmoor, as well as cycling to the sea for swims during the hot weather.

I am about to start another line of treatment as the pesky paraproteins are rising and I’ve had some bone pain, but feel much calmer about it than the first time as I know it to be effective, and that I got back to a good, active, busy life when I spend more time worrying about getting work done, maintaining the house and garden, paying the bills etc., than I do about having myeloma.

You’ll get through this, give it the time it needs, and do listen to your body and rest when you need to.

We’re all here for you, it’s a tough road, but there’s a great view from the top.

Rich 👍

blackburnmark
    Participant

Great stuff guys!
    I was thinking any second chemo/transplant ought to be a little less debilitating with starting off early while in good strength.

Fingers crossed on that second treatment Rich, from what KH above is saying, the slump is unlikely to be as bad as the first one 🙂

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.