Swimming

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  dickb 9 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

jeff605
    Participant

Hi, well finally had the vertobroplasty, which has improved walking, posture and pain quite a bit, not completely, but a lot better and it’s early days yet. Now, when I first started chemotherapy, I was told No Swimming !, due to low immunity and the risk of infection ,which was quite a blow as it’s something I enjoyed and did twice a week. Have others had the same advice, or is it an over cautious precaution by the consultant? Do any of you swim regularly ? Just curious really, I usually do as I am told. Bit lighter, during the operation , which wasn’t too bad, ( rather have it than an MRI scan, which I hate – want to try feet first on the next one in Jan. ) the surgeon would say ” this might be a bit uncomfortable, Mr. Crawford ” I thought ” he means this is going to b—- hurt “!! I was right, but only lasted momentarily . Jeff

tonyf
    Participant

Well, perhaps not a good idea to go swimming in a pool. We were on holiday, I went swimming, had a sauna etc and lo and behold two or three days later, wallop. Probably the worst infection I have ever had, laid me low for ten days! Couldn’t put the infection down to anything but the swimming.
    But hey we are all different.
    Regards
    Tony F

dickb
    Participant

Hi Jeffrey.

I go swimming up to 3 times a week. I started during Reha (a German thing where anyone after major illness gets sent to a clinic for rehabilitation). The Physio checked me over and said swimming would be good. Because I have damage to my shoulders she suggested that I swim on my back and do small arm movements. I found after that the amount of pain killers I needed could be reduced to the point where I now don’t really need them. I still get some pain but it’s manageable. I swim about 10 lengths of the local pool in about half an hour. I also tend to cycle to and from the pool as its less than 2Km away.

I have to say that I am 11 months post SCT, my Lucizytes have recovered and my T4 cellcount is above 200 so infection for me is not seen as a major risk.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Swimming’ is closed to new replies.