Tears and Onions

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Gill 9 years ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Gill
    Participant

My husband died in September 2012. His first job after leaving school was as a trainee butcher for Sainsbury’s. As a result of that he could carve meat properly, bone out meat and sharpen knives. I had inherited a couple of sets of cutlery and a couple of sets of knives.

The knives all had bone or ivory handles (not P.C. But they were over 100 years old when I got them in the 80s). Stephen sharpened them with an old fashioned “steel” I think that is the right word. A long piece of rough metal with a handle at one end. If you visit the butchers you will see them using this.

Some months before he died he bought me an electric knife sharpener. When I asked him why he had bought it he told me that I could use it when he wasn’t around. I hit the roof and he backtracked saying that he meant if he was out etc. We both knew he was lying.

This morning I realised all my sharp knives were decidedly blunt. Out came my sharpener and I set to work sharpening every knife. My itchy eyes and tears started then. Long before I sliced the onion.

Anyway I had better go and start cooking. Tinned tuna topped with sliced boiled egg and smothered in cheese and onion sauce. Baked in the oven until the top is browned. Bon Apetit.

Carolsymons
    Participant

Hi Gill
    Good to hear from you. Bless Stephen…I guess he knew how much you would think of him as you used the sharpener. Do hope after the tears you picked yourself up and got on with living, as you know that is what Stephen would want for you. I sometimes wonder how my husband, children and grandchildren will remember me once I am gone?

Carol

Tina
    Participant

Hi Gill,
    I have a kitchen thing going on too. My dear husband Pat died in May 2011, seems like yesterday. Pat and I had been together for 35 yrs and had moved house a number of times, I guess many people move items with them that they should really throw away. Well we had a really old tea towel that Pat had when I first met him when he was living in a bedsit. We brought that old tea towel along with us each time we moved and it is still in my kitchen today! Last week I was staring at it thinking that I must throw it away but as holey as it is I just can’t bring myself to do it. I know Pat would think I was raving mad for keeping it but it just holds so many memories. No one would believe me if I told them an old tea towel made me cry :0
    Best wishes

Tina XX

• This reply was modified 9 years ago by  Tina.

Gill
    Participant

Hi Tina

You hold on to that tea towel forever. I cannot use a “steel” to sharpen knives but I would never part with it. I miss Stephen so, so much and do not think that will ever change, but I have learned to carry on. I also realise that family and friends have no idea how much I am still grieving, but that’s OK. It’s how it should be.

Love from Gill xx

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Tears and Onions’ is closed to new replies.