Thalidomide

This topic contains 6 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  BADGER 12 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Gill
    Participant

I haven't been in for a while as Stephen was not very well (thanks to all for the good wishes sent. He is now back home and a bit better) but I was wondering if anyone else saw the article in last Wednesday's Independent regarding Thalidomide?

It told of it's horrific effects to pregnant women 50 years ago but reported on it's beneficial effect in treating brain cancer, kidney cancer and karposi's? sarcoma, and went on to report that it's most potent effect was against mm.

It said that each treatment cycle cost £2,100. As much as we all sometimes complain about the NHS, and moan about our tax and NI contribtions it does make you realise that we are lucky to have a health service like ours.

I do hope everyone is OK I will catch up with all the posts when I have got Stephen eating again. Off to cook roast chicken with sweetcorn, red pepper and onion fritters. He fancies it I cook it, he leaves it I hit him>:-)

eve
    Participant

Hi Gill nice to see Stephen has got over this hurdle,it,s a roller coaster ride,all the time,I just wish it would stop for a little while.
    Did not see the article you mentioned but don,t you think it is strange how much it has increased in price over 50 years,£2100,cannot see them 50 years ago paying a high price to stop pregnant women feeling sick!!!!,may be after all the money they paid out,they are raking it back by over charging the nhs???
    have you any plans to go to France,if you have say bongour for me,would love to be there right now. love Eve

DaiCro
    Participant

Hi Gill,

Its great to hear from you, especially with the good news about Stephen. Did they source the infection?

I truly hope that this was a blip and that he continues to grow stronger and fitter with all the right lazinesses in his bloods that keep him ahead of the game.

I read an article about a Mexican footballer whose family have moved to Manchester to live with him because he thrives on family… and his Grandmother has sourced a great Mexican foodstuffs online store in the Uk, so she can make his favourite meal of breadcrumbed steak – the ingredients in the breadcrumbs making all the difference. It didn't spell out the recipe so I made my own and asked Janet to cook it for me… tomorrow or perhaps Monday evening hopefully… and I promise you that whatever the outcome I will not be hit because I have yet to find any edible substance known to man or woman that I have yet failed to eat… with only a few notable exceptions in the 'didn't like much' department. My biggest disappointment has been with Kalamari… I have tried it over a dozen times now and have yet to find it at all tasty… it is always bland, like plain tripe. Saying that I haven't had Janet cook it from fresh… hmmm.:-0

Breaded Steak first methinks.;-)

Really good to see you back on board, please pass on my regards to Stephen.8-)
    Dai.

Min
    Participant

Hello Gill
    Im pleased to hear you have Stephen home at last.
    I know exactly what you mean about the fancying food and then not eating it. When Peter came home I had a fridge full of food that went into the dogs (at least it wasnt wasted) but I know how soul destroying it is to make tasty morsels that cannot be consumed after special requests.
    Go back to basics and tiny tea plates. Then at least your not wasting so much.
    Is Stephen on Thalidomide as maintenance? Peter has been told he will be on it after his SCT he is on it now too but no dex…….so life is sweet!
    You would think after all these years they could make a generic form of Thalidomide as surely the licence patent or whatever cant last that long?
    I read an article in an American web site how the insurance industry is responsible for pushing up the cost as Celgene have them over a barrel.
    When Peter first started on it 2 years ago it was in the most amazing packages really expensive double boxes. Not now its pretty plain by comparison.
    I hope Stephen starts to pick up soon, Peter now has an amazing appetite improving daily and gaining weight , our regards to Stephen
    love Min
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2019199/Thalidomide-approved-use-NHS-half-century-banned.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

brocho
    Participant

Hi Gill so pleased Stephen is feeling better . I am sure he will soon get his appetite back now he is back home with you looking after him Please make sure you look after yourself too though !! Hows the puppy? I hope she has learnt to perform in the right place now!! love Bridget x

Gill
    Participant

I looked up the article that Min mentioned in the Daily Mail. It was interesting, but I was amazed at one of the comments made it seemed, to me, quite vitriolic. I did not realise that you can comment on articles shown on line. I wonder if they are monitored.

As an aside before I had even started to cook the aforementioned chicken etc. Stephen felt quite poorly so dry crackers were preppared for supper BUT he managed a huge helping of chicken and fritters today (oops yesterday)and thanks for your good wishes Bridget but POOPY still hasn't quite got the the idea. I am really pleased that we have tiled floors downstairs and a stairgate which stops any mess on carpets

PS to Dai the infection was in his Hickman line. In the actual tube. Very lucky it did not get into his whole body

PS to Min Stephen has only had thalidomide in CDT not as maintenance

PS to Eve. I never thought about the cost regarding the supply of thalidomide to pregnant women. I wonder if it was an expensive, heartbreaking experiment 50 years ago.

PPS to Eve No trips to France yet but we have booked for October in hope

BADGER
    Participant

Hello Gill
    I really glad Stephen is a bit better and home again it nice when someone looks after you and cooks tempting dinners I hope he enjoys them
    As for the Thalidamide my consultant told me of the costs when I started which I thought was a huge cost as it has been around for the last fifty years but I was grateful to have it the funny thing was each time I went to pharmacy the young girls dont really look at you I was always asked if I was pregnant I am 64! I hope stephen continues to improve
    Love Jo;-)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Thalidomide’ is closed to new replies.