The Cutting Edge

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Harmony 9 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

docmike
    Participant

Hopefully this link ;
    http://myeloma.org/ArticlePage.action?tabId=22&menuId=164&articleId=4491&aTab=-1&gParentType=link&gParentId=8392&parentIndexPageId=461&parentCategoryId=936

will show you the latest thinking of the experts in treating ultra high risk smouldering myeloma.
    Mike

Harmony
    Participant

Hi Mike,

Just watched some of this- it’s exciting that there are these new drug combinations and that research is being done on when to intervene but the cynic in me wonders if our cash-strapped NHS would be likely to allow us to have access to these drugs and treatments anyway. After all, myeloma is a rare form of cancer that affects so few of us in comparison to prostate and breast. Myeloma is just not sexy enough to attract attention. If I won the lottery, I’d use the Mayo Clinic in America- and they say money can’t buy you happiness!

For some of us, clinical trials could be our only hope- excuse my ignorance but I have to ask, how do clinical trials work? Are the drugs totally new or have they been used in countries like America before? Are people on clinical trials literally the guinea pigs used so that side effects can be ascertained?

Thank you for the link- it certainly provides food for thought.

Chrissie

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The topic ‘The Cutting Edge’ is closed to new replies.