Three years down the line – a question

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  comfortablynumb 11 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

comfortablynumb
    Participant

Well it is now three years since my autologous stem cell transplant and I can only say that I have had normal health since then. (But I think I do get more coughs and colds).

Anyway, I wondered if anyone could answer this:

When I had my stem-cell harvest, two packs of my cells were frozen. One was used for my transplant and the other was to be stored. I just wondered how long the "shelf-life" of these cells is? Do they get chucked away at some point or are they able to be kept forever for when I do need them?

Anyone?

tom
    Participant

Hi John

Well done on the three years and a Happy Birthday Stems :-D, as for coughs and colds well it might be same as i mine is coughs and bad chest 🙁 but hey ho bloods all good so far 😎

Am not sure how long the shelf life is John but am sure you aint gonna need them for many a year 😎 hope some one else can answer that one or E mail the nurse am sure other might like to k now that one, I aint got none saved 🙁 but like you I aint planning to need anymore for many a year. 😎

Tom "Onwards and Upwards"

Michele
    Participant

Fortunately I had enough stem-cells for 2 transplants, so 2 bags of mine are frozen for (much) later use.
    When I asked I think they said they'd be stored for 10 years. If I'm still bouncing around at that point without having used them I don't think there'd be any question of destroying them. There's just a "10 year storage space" rule I think.
    Hopefully, in 2022 I'll be able to test the theory and ask them to keep the stem-cells for another 10 years!!
    😉

comfortablynumb
    Participant

Thank you both.
    My Mrs thought they said that the cells would only be stored for two years and then they "go off". She was probably thinking of cake or something.

Cheers

CN

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Three years down the line – a question’ is closed to new replies.