Time from first appointment till treatment

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  knackeredninja 7 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

moraygig
    Participant

Hi All,
    I am about to have my 5th appointment with haematology one of which was for bone marrow biopsy, which as others have said is hellish, it was the pain that shot down my legs that got me, did after the second bout of pain get gas and air.
    Still not had a scan, got another appointment on the 20th and supposed to be starting treatment the following week.
    The anemia is causing a lot of breathlessness and thought it might be treated first, has anyone had this problem and did they deal with it first.
    Thanks

iangray67
    Participant

Hi.
    Mine was a month from diagnosis to the first treatment, I had lots of appointments prior to that which included a bone marrow biopsy, CT scan and MRI, It appears that all hospitals work differently and timescales vary for treatment for individual patients depending on what stage the Myeloma is at…

For me the breathlessness started to ease once treatment started, no medication for me for it, it wasn’t required still not 100% but better than before.
    Good luck with your next appointment and treatment.

blobgob
    Participant

I was lucky, my bone marrow biopsy was painless. It was taken from the base of my spine when I was an inpatient in hospital. It was taken by a junior doctor under supervision of my consultant!

This confirmed Multiple Myeloma and my treatment started a day or two later. 5 cycles later I was in remission.

knackeredninja
    Participant

My wife’s was 5 days, lesions on her spine were threatening paralysis and incontinence so very urgent. After radiotherapy (5 days) she is pretty much wheelchair bound still.
    MRI on her skull this afternoon.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.