Translocation of chromosomes t4:14

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  rabbit 7 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

squirrel
    Participant

Hi everyone

I have to say this forum has some excellent information.

I have been informed that because I have translocation of chromosomes t4:14 it means that I would benefit by having tandem stem cell transplants which would hopefully give a longer remission period. First SCT mid October and the another one in the New Year
    Also that they would like to harvest enough stem cells for 3 transplants.
    Is there anyone on here that has has the same or differing information regarding 4:14 please?

Hope everyone is as well as they can be.

rabbit
    Participant

Hi Sqirrel,

I also have the t(4, 14) translocation. I have just finished my first line of treatment and I am in full remission for now.

My haemotologist advised slightly against having SCT as I have a comorbidity (basically: a heart condition). Also, he said that the latest research indicated that there was little or no difference to OS from having an SCT, at least not yet. Meanwhile, I have some stem cell frozen ready for whatever the future may bring.

squirrel
    Participant

Hi Rabbit
    Thank you for your reply.
    What does OS stand for please?
    I have just had my stem cells collected and frozen last week. I was told they had to collect at least 6 million which I achieved over 4 days.
    My next consultant appointment is beginning of October and it was suggested that a tandem transplant, one mid October and the second in the New Year, would be of benefit to me because of this variant.
    Whereabouts in the country are you?
    My consultant was very convincing this was my best way forward.
    Hope you keep doing well.

rabbit
    Participant

Hi Squirrel,

OS = overall survival in years.

I have only just joined this forum today. I have been learning about myeloma mostly from research papers, so I have absorbed some of their jargon. Sorry!

It is an individual thing. As well as having a heart condition which means that an SCT would put a lot of strain on my body, I have responded ‘exceptionally well’ (quoting my consultant) to treatment: 6 cycles of VRD-Dara (Velcade = Bortezomib, Revlimid = Lenalidomide, Dexamethasone and Daratumumub), so there has been less need for an SCT yet. Currently I am in remission (getting maintenance chemo of Revlimid and (every 4 weeks Dara and Dexamethasone)).

I only have enough stem cells stored for one SCT anyway, so for me it can make sense to leave the SCT for now.

By the way, I live near Luton: I get treatment in London.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.