Treatment for slumbering myeloma

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  marian 9 years ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

seamar
    Participant

Diagnosed with slumbering myeloma in Nov 2014. Prognosis was that it would develop into active myeloma within 18-24 months. Told by my consultant in the UK that treatment could only begin when full blown myeloma develops, and at that time would include chemotherapy.

Ten days ago I was ill in Beirut and anemia was diagnosed. Saw a hematologist who said (a) treatment for slumbering myeloma could begin now and (b) would involve three drugs – velcade, revalmid and dexamethasone – but no chemo.

Who is right???

docmike
    Participant

Dear Sean.
    Smouldering myeloma has it s own thread
    If you hb is less than 10 or has dropped by 2gm since november you have the criteria for active mm.In the uk you would most likely be offerd to go myeloma x1 trial
    http://www.myeloma.org.uk/information/myeloma-uk-publications-list/clinical-trials-and-novel-treatments/myeloma-xi-infoguide
    definiton of chemotherapy ?? in parts yes but not as severe as some but read other threads on this site who will disagree.every body is different
    Mike

marian
    Participant

Dear Sean

I have just joined this forum.  I was diagnosed last year with Smouldering Myeloma.  Like you I was told no treatment until Myeloma proper developed.  I found all the terms re lab tests confusing, but I got a book from the library 100 questions and Answers about Myeloma and it made things much clearer. The ISB no is 975-0-7637-5707.

Have you started treatment and how are you getting on?

All the best

Marian

seamar
    Participant

After being given a prognosis of 18-24 months to become active, My slumbering myeloma suddenly woke up in March – three months after original diagnosis!

I started treatment this month and am now half way through the firs of, probably, 6 or 8 28 day cycles.  I am on Zoledronic acid (IV once per cycle), Dexamethasone, Cyclophosphamide and Lenalidomide. So far no material side effects, in spite of the dire warnings in the drug packaging!

marian
    Participant

Thanks for quick reply.  I’m glad you’re not having side effects.  Very reassuring

Marian

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Treatment for slumbering myeloma’ is closed to new replies.