Two hospitals in one day

This topic contains 12 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  eve 11 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

andyg
    Participant

Hi everyone.
    We went to the day unit this morning for my zometa today after my blood tests Friday. Had to have another blood test today after some slightly low results Friday – HB 10.0 NEUT 0.5 PLT 69 – probably caused by the infections, cough and cold I had following our holiday. I was taken off cyclophosphamide as a precaution. Today's results were better HB 10.4 NEUT 0.8 PLT 103 I also got my last Paraprotein result a disappointing rise from 24 to 27 not a big rise but disappointing non the less. Hopefully just a blip caused by my illnesses and lots of antibiotics.
    This afternoon it was a trip to Newcastle freeman hospital to see Prof Jackson. He is kean for me to go for an allo transplant hopefully in the new year. As usual for me it's not been easy to make much progress. The best match they've found todate is in the USA !! but they are going to continue to search and hopefully find a good match closer to home. He was also kind enough to point out all the pitfalls of an allo transplant and my likelyhood of a good response.
    After that hammering we meet up with lovely Helen and had a coffee and a good old chinwag. Then it was home to mull over what we had been told.
    Keep positive and smile
    We're trying
    All the best
    Andy & Steph xx

KeithH17
    Participant

Hi Andy, nice to see you looking well today at the day unit. As you say the Prof has explained all about Allo sct's.
    It's all about the match of course and when a close one is found then the outcome can be excellent with a long remission. I do hope they can sort it out for you after all the setbacks you have had along the way. I know that the recovery can take longer because of GVH and the higher risk of infection but all things equal the end result will be well worth it.

Take care both of you and good health for the future.

Keith&Sue.

BADGER
    Participant

Hi Andy

glad your readings are a bit better hopefully you will find a match so you will be able to go ahead with your SCT
    kEEP WELL
    Love Jo

keznmel
    Participant

Hiya – it seems to be all go for you at the moment. Fingers crossed that they soon find you a match. Best wishes Kerry and Melvin x

tom
    Participant

Hey Andy and Steph

Well you are avin to give this a good fight M8 🙁 but I know you can both do it 😀

Its an Uphill battle this MM when it runs smooth so I do feel for you two, I hope you get a good Match near home.
    Keep strong you two

Tom "Onwards and Upwards" x

Vicki
    Participant

Come on Andy, my money's on you :-). It's a real drag for you and steph, but hey Americas not far so if that's the closest match. Andy 1 mm nil! 🙂

Vicki and Colin x

Ali
    Participant

Hi Andy

I thought a donor for the transplant had to be a sibling? Its amazing they have found a close match in America. Theres sure to be one close to home. I wonder how does one go about donating stem cells?

Until you get your match, just keep on giving this MM a run for its money.

Hope you are finally getting over your infections and feeling a bit better:-)

Love Ali x

Helen
    Participant

Hi Andy
    It was good to catch up again, I thought you both looked well bronzed after the holidays, it's a shame they go so quickly. Hope the results pick up again soon, you'll feel so much better then.
    Love Helen

DaiCro
    Participant

Hi Andy,

Your bloods look quite good except for your Nuetrofils… got to get them up sharpish.:-)

HGB 10.4 is a luxury to me… I normally have to settle for 8.4 to 10.0.:-| But my Plates are usually around the 140 mark, so no trouble from them.

I would love to have a go at an allo… risks allowed for and accepted… but I doubt that that's an option for me now.:-(

Still, you are moving forward… from failing to get inside the parameters for a SCT to the offer of an allo… whatever happens I am sure that before you know it you will be home and on the long but desirable road to recovery… and the sooner the better.;-)

Good luck Andy… if anyone deserves a bit of good, positive fortune it is you.8-)

Dai.

Lorna
    Participant

Hi Ali

It is very easy to join the register to be a stem cell donor. 18-30 contact Anthony Nolan Trust.30-50 become a blood donor and ask to be put on the British Bone Marrow Register. As you'll have read on this forum it's completely painless. I joined the register just after Mike's SCT and I would encourage other carers and family to do the same when possible

Lorna x

mhnevill
    Participant

Hi Andy

Just wanted to say Good Luck with finding a match for the All0 transplant. I have been reading about Jet's experieinces and admire those of you who decide to go down that route.

I am jealous of those of you who manage to meet up with others from the Forum, via your various hospital appointments or in a Support Group. It feels really lonely here in Bradford. In over two years I have only spoken to one other MM sufferer. Had I not had my set back in March, I was thinking about setting up a Support Group here, but haven't got the emotional energy at the moment. But who knows for the future! I do thank God for all of you on the Forum.

Lots of love.

Mavis

andyg
    Participant

Hi
    I would like to thank everyone for all the good wishes. I must admit the thought of a sct had slipped from my radar and I was just coasting along. The meeting with the Prof. On Monday has brought it back into sharp focus. I knew an auto sct was off the cards for me and that an allo sct was ultimately the only way forward for me. Never the less when he said we need to do it ASAP and possibly early in the new year it gave me a fright. I soon got over the shock of the suddenness of the announcement and the pitfalls he highlighted to knowing this is what I wanted and really my only option. No less scary though. I now have a plan and a goal to work towards which will keep me focused and maybe a little jittery.
    Thanks once again for all your support.
    As the wonderful Tom would say "onwards and upwards"
    All the best
    Andy

eve
    Participant

Hi Andy
    You will get there,it sounds like a good idea to me,crack on up wards,might be worth talking to Shirley on hear,I know she has had one.
    Look at Myeloma Beacon Survives people on there have been going for many years,they say it,s the nearest thing to a cure.Eve

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Two hospitals in one day’ is closed to new replies.