Update on Dad

This topic contains 10 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  DaiCro 13 years ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

maryandteresa
    Participant

Hi
    It's some time since I posted although hopefully some of you will remember me and my sister (Michelle, Dai, Bridget). As a reminder Dad's SCT in March 2010 didnt really work so he started Velcade in September 2010 and had seven courses but the MM continued and he needed radiotherapy for a tumour on his ribs last month. Since then he hasnt really recovered and is now on pain relief only as we have been told that the treatment is no longer working. Dad is getting weaker by the day although remains in good spirits and as a family we are coming to terms with what is now happening. I know this is a bit of miserable news but I just wanted to let you know how things are as I may need to write the odd thing on here. Glad to see everyone is still on here and being positive and happy as always (where possible) – stay that way! Mary x

brocho
    Participant

Dear Mary and Theresa it so sad to hear things havent worked out for your dad , my heart goes out to you .I am glad you felt able to ket us know and we are all here for you Your dad must be a real fighter and having such a lovely family must make it easier , you girls have been brilliant and if you were mine I would be bursting with pride But dont forget you can let it out on here if you need to , its hard being strong for everyone else.lots of love Bridget xx

Perkymite
    Participant

Hi Girls, No, you are not forgotten and it is so pleasing and kind that you thought to update us on your Dad. I wish him well on his final journey.

He will leave a family to be proud of I am sure. I know I draw great strength and support for my family and from your previous postings he will be doing the same at this time.

May his God walk beside him
    My kindest regards

David

DaiCro
    Participant

Hi Mary and Theresa,

I am so sorry to hear that Patrick is having such difficulty in responding to treatment. Did they dismiss Revlimid as a possibility? I'm glad that he has had the enjoyment of Cheltenham and Aintree and I hope that they can find something to keep him stable for as long as they can.

My SCT also failed after 10 months – so its Velcade next for me… and I am hoping that it works..

All my best to you both and all your family at this time… and please say hello to Patrick, he and you have often been foremost in my thoughts.

Much love

Dai.

maryandteresa
    Participant

Thank you lovely people – it's like I've never been away! Dad did go on Revlimid for a bit Dai but as the tumour on his rib seemed to be growing still the doctors took the view that it was not being very effective. Plus, when dad starting to feel unwell and weak we decided that the trips to the hospital and the battering the drugs were giving him meant that pain relief and rest were more important to him. Just been to see him today (as Teresa & I do every day) and he's sleeping a lot but still chatting away and doing the crossword. Pretty rubbish situation but it could (and maybe will) be a lot worse so just looking for the positives! Have a good weekend everyone – sunshine forecast – hurrah

maryandteresa
    Participant

I am sorry to say that Dad passed away on Easter Sunday at 6.50am. The Wednesday before he passed Dad really struggled to climb the stairs to bed and we were able to secure an electric bed from the local hospice for him on Thursday. The doctor then organised a syringe to feed medication to Dad and this, together with the bed, was such a godsend as it meant Dad was pain-free and very comfy – as he kept telling us on Thursday – he said he felt like he had won the lottery!

Dad got very weak and sleepy although continued to try to drink a little and talk to us. We were told that Dad was faltering and therefore me, mum and my sister Teresa stayed with him from Wednesday, in shifts, so he was never alone. Dad was able to stay at home until the end and, although it sounds odd, it was lovely as he was surrounded by familiar things and people and, towards the end, just kept saying, 'I'm OK'. This was so reassuring for us as a family.

Dad passed Sunday morning and my mum and sister were with him and it was very, very peaceful. We feel so fortunate to have been able to spend those last days with Dad telling him what we needed to tell him and getting reassurance and support from him, knowing he was ready to go and was happy with his life. I know this is hard to read if you or someone you know has MM but Dad was diagnosed over 2 yrs ago and it was only recently that the treatment stopped working for him. Thanks to everyone here for their support and I am sending out love and positive thoughts for you all. Mary XXXX

brocho
    Participant

Dear Mary thankyou for your post you really are an amazing woman , full of compassion for others I am so sorry your dad has gone but reading your post helped me understand how important it is to be with loved ones and to hear he was pain free and comfortable and able to talk to you all made me think thats about as good as it gets Sending lots of love to you and your mum and family , please keep in touch from time to time and let us know how you are lots of love Bridget x

Perkymite
    Participant

I am so pleased that he had such a peacefull end. It is the way I am sure that we would all wish to go.

Take care now and look in occasionally if you have the time, we will all be more that pleased to see you.

May your god walk with you.
    Kindest regards
    David

Gill
    Participant

Dear Mary

I am so sorry for your loss. Painfree and comfy is all any one of us asks for at the end, and the fact that he was able to tell you that he had enjoyed his life is really nice to know.

Love from Gill xxx

DaiCro
    Participant

Mary and Theresa,

I am so glad that your Dad found both peace and the grace to go surrounded by love in a loving environment. I am sorry that you did not get a longer time together, mm seems to have no rhyme or reason.

My thoughts are with you and your family.

Dai.xxx

Elizellen
    Participant

I am so sorry to hear that your Dad has passed away, Mary.and Theresa.

It was good that you were able to say your goodbyes to him in familiar surroundings.

Sending all my love and best wishes to you all.

Elizabeth
    XX
    X

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Update on Dad’ is closed to new replies.