Vaccination

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  jeff605 8 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

susie
    Participant

I’m deciding whether to have the flu jab. I had it years ago then wasn’t well for some months afterwards. It may have been coincidence coz there was never a diagnosis. Anyway my consultant was adamant I should have it.

Just wondered what everyone does.

Best wishes

Susie

graham-c
    Participant

After an experience I had several years ago I will never have another flu jab. There was no doubt as to what the cause was as the site of the jab came up in a hard lump and I had the worst case of flu ever. To add to that it badly affected the shoulder muscle (the site of the injection) and I had difficulty putting on a jacket for months afterwards. The muscle remains affected but is no longer as bad as it was.

Though strictly the flu vaccine cannot give you flu, the truth is that everyone’s flu symptoms are caused by your immune system’s reaction and the jab is intended to challenge your immune system.

Before that experience ironically my GP had been declining my requests for a jab though I had previously had kidney cancer. It made me very ill but because I felt it was my own fault for pressing so hard for it, I couldn’t go to my GP, though I did have to be referred to the hospital over the effect it had on my shoulder.

Though I had declined a flu jab this year verbally I was surprised to discover that I had an appointment set for me which I cancelled. Funnily enough I actually had flu at the time and I dread to think how my body would react to the vaccine on top of it.

I’d have the vaccination if I hadn’t previously had such a bad experience. As I had my blood test at the height of the virus it’ll be interesting to see what the results are this time.

davidainsdale
    Participant

Hello Susie

The flu jab is just one of a long list of inoculations for those who have had stem cell transplants in order to build back the body’s immunity to all the childhood and other bugs which the treatment affects. I have got used to having a bruised arm. Now I know why babies cry when they have their jabs!!

Just had mine last week for the second year, no really adverse reaction just a bit achy for a couple of days. Worth it if it works, that said, last year’s jab was said to be not very effective against the strain of virus.

Hope this helps.

David S

jeff605
    Participant

Hi Susie, had a slight reaction to the first years jab, bit feverish and felt rough for a day or two, but since then have had no significant reaction at all Had this year’s last week. So maybe it’s one of these things that seems so common with Myeloma where we are all different, but I would go with the consultant’s wishes, mine was the same, quite insistent that I went for it. Jeff

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Vaccination’ is closed to new replies.