Vaccine

Tagged: 

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  scatter05 9 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

twinz
    Participant

Hi

I had SCT end of November and discharged from that hospital in March this year and referred back to my local hospital for maintenance treatment.
    I have to re do all my Covid vaccines and not sure how I go about this as I have phoned 119 as it wouldn’t allow me to book online and they tried too without success.
    Can anyone advise how they booked theirs again please?

maidmarion
    Participant

Hi twinz, my husband had his SCT in October 2021 at The Churchill Hospital, Oxford. On leaving the hospital he was given a letter detailing all his childhood vaccinations and also COVID and pneumonia. After taking a copy for ourselves we handed the letter over to our GP who organised everything. I would suggest getting hold of the hospital who carried out the SCT or talk to your GP about the schedule. My husband had the first vaccinations and COVID jabs carried out at home by the community nurse as he was too vulnerable and at risk (as I suspect you might still be). After the first six months following the SCT he had all the rest of his vaccinations carried out at our GP surgery as they know him well and we trust them to give him the correct doses at the correct times. I hope you get the support you need, because it is quite complicated. Hope this helps, Marion

sandy123
    Participant

Hi Twinz,

Like @maidmarion I was given a letter containing a list of appropriate vaccines when I was discharged from my SCT in 2020. As far as I understand it, we have to avoid live vaccines so I was not given all of the childhood ones. My list contained things such as pneumonia (2 types) and meningitis.

I was not given the Chicken Pox jab (being one of the live ones) but found out quite recently that we can ask for the non-live Shingrix vaccination against Shingles. It does not promise to stop you catching Shingles but apparently it can greatly reduce the severity of symptoms if you do catch it. It seems that this is not given automatically and you have to ask your consultant or GP to prescribe it for you. I had my first one about a month ago.

I realise that you posted this a few weeks ago and hopefully by now you have your appointments all sorted or if not, that you will do very soon.

• This reply was modified 11 months ago by  sandy123.

bobbie
    Participant

Hi there,

My mum underwent a stem cell transplant at the beginning of April and was informed she’d have to wait 100 days to be able to receive a Covid Vaccine. However, the Covid programme closed on 30th June (within the 100 days). Between haematology, the GP and 119, they are unable to tell her how she can get a vaccine and keep her going round in circles insisting this isn’t their problem.

Since closure of the Covid vaccine programme on 30th June, has anyone been able to receive their vaccinations?

Thanks, Bobbie.

twinz
    Participant

I had my stem cell transplant at the end of Nov 22 and am also trying to get Covid vaccines. It took my consultant a long time to send me my letter and I finally got it after I chased them.
    I managed to get one covid vaccine on 28th June just before they stopped but am also now struggling to get anymore. I was told by the pharmacist that I may have to wait until they do the next rounds in Autumn

I have had most of my childhood vaccines and have 4 more in August ( nurse has given me them 4 at a time).
    I am at the hospital again next month so going to see if they can help with covid.
    Might have to mention Shingles one to nurse next time I go.
    It’s a nightmare getting everything but hopefully it should sort itself out at some point. FINGERS CROSSED.

scatter05
    Participant

Hi I have just had my first vaccine post SCT . I was given a covid phone number to ring ,which I could post but it was for my county only (Lancs) . They then found a random clinic that had stock and gave. I got the number from my G.P.
    It took a while to organise as like you say not giving the vaccine in general now.
    I presume I ring them again for my second .
    Hope that helps .

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.