we trained hard

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  zasrs 13 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Perkymite
    Participant

The following was supposedly written by a Roman Soldier in AD66. How true that is I do not know but I found it somewhere in 1996 and wrote on the bottom of it, ?Life has not changed I note.? I was so struck by the truth in it that I kept it and today I still have it pinned above my computer

My reason for posting it was Keith's thread on the NHS reforms.

[i][b]"We trained hard – but it seemed that every time we were beginning to to form up into teams, we would be reorganised. I was to learn later in life that we tend to meet any new situation by reorganising, and a wonderful method it can be for creating the illusion of progress while prodcuing confusion, inefficiency and demoralisation"[/b][/i]

Every politician should read this BEFORE they decide to IMPROVE things!
    Kind regards
    David

Gill
    Participant

I too have this on our office wall. At the bottom it states Caius Petronius AD66.

I have no idea who Caius Petrnius was but agree that nothing much changes

Gill

BADGER
    Participant

So true David do any politicians do their homework or do most just follow the party line like sheep :-/

Regards Jo

brocho
    Participant

Hi David how very true Unfortunately politicians newly in power are like junior doctors and would have us believe they and their strategies are much better than anyone else before them Ha ha!! love Bridget x

Perkymite
    Participant

for a bit of fun (must get myself a life sometime!) I googled it and it came up with this:-

[i]Falsely attributed to Gaius Petronius Arbiter. Quote is from Charlton Ogburn, Jr. (1911-1998), in Harper's Magazine, "Merrill's Marauders: The truth about an incredible adventure" (Jan 1957)[/i]:-S

Gaius Petronius Arbiter did exist and he was a Roman governor of some sorts.

zasrs
    Participant

Hi All

Looks like humans have been reinventing the wheel since at least AD66!!

Thanks david

all the best sarah

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘we trained hard’ is closed to new replies.