Worth watching and reading

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Min 12 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

brocho
    Participant

Hi everyone I have been watching Call the Midwife on BBC1, Sunday evenings and its brilliant mainly because it brought back so many childhood memories. I am amazed how much the way we live has changed in such a relatively short time , its set in 1957. I bought the books which are memoirs written by Jennifer Worth who was a nurse for over 20 years She writes so naturally its not like the usual non-fiction book I recommend the books I couldnt put them down So now you know I am a genuine couch potato haha love Bridget x

jmsmyth
    Participant

I agree totally Bridget – brilliant. The first episode – wasn't sure – but as it progressed- brought back memories. The mid wife that my mum had was called Madge and she was a huge lady. My mum was in labour and the baby was breech – Madge needed a rest (!!!!) and plonked herself on the bed, the bed collapsed, my poor mum, told us later that she thought the end of the world had come!!

Hope they do a second series.
    Love Jean xx

brocho
    Participant

Hi Jean I got a bad fit of the giggles reading your post I could just picture it!! The other thing that struck me is how innocent people were in the fifties, so different from now Roll on Sunday evening ! love Bridget x

Min
    Participant

Bridget I love this series and have been too busy of late to see the past few weeks, but they are saved on Sky,
    Cant wait for the weekend when the family go home and I get to catch up on Eastenders too.
    Min xx

mhnevill
    Participant

Hi bridget

I have enjoyed the escapism too! I had read the bookd before, as my sister in law was a midwif around that time. The series is very true to the book.

I agree with you, it really brings home how life has changed. I loved it when the phone was grabbed out of the hand of the lady in the phone box because "it is an emergency!" Now everyone seems to have a phone hanging on their ears all the time!! One of my pet hates – people texting in a Restuarant. A friend was telling me that at Christmas dinner three of her grandchildren were texting.

Makes me sound like a grumpy old woman! Mind you, I am 67 this next week so perhaps I am!!!

Enjoy the next episode tomorrow. I will think of you as I start to watch.

Much love.

Mavis xxx

Min
    Participant

Last one tonight what a shame doesnt seem to have been on long?
    I read War Horse last week and saw the film and can recommend both .
    Min

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Worth watching and reading’ is closed to new replies.